1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post does first Paterno interview following Sanduskygate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 14, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And you're hopelessly naive. Her column started with the words "Try to forgive Joe Paterno." this is a story where Joe Posnanski lost his mind and Pat Forde became a frat boy, and we're supposed to see Sally Jenkins as immune?

They didn't study her Pat Summitt column. They studied her fealty to the myth of Happy Valley. And they got what they were looking for.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If I'm on the side with Forde, Posnanski and Jenkins in a discussion of sports journalism, I'm more than comfortable.

3. LongTimeListener

That's cool. Don't bother reading what any of them wrote, just assume they know better on this one because they're awesome and infallible.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've read all of it, actually. At this point, I've probably literally read hundreds of articles on the Penn State scandal, including dozens of columns from both sides. I've seen the stuff about the Paterno class. I am with them. Media members lost their damn minds with lynch-mob groupthink. I don't think Paterno's firing was entirely unjustified, but I think it's crazy to say based on the evidence we have that he was somehow responsible.

But that's not what this thread is about. There have been enough threads about that.

5. LongTimeListener

We disagree. My views on the reasons Jenkins got the interview are unchanged.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

[blue]No, I'm more against child abuse than you are, and Jenkins! Look at me![/blue]

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I might be the biggest Forde fangirl around. But that whole episode was painful.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That trio represents what's wrong with sports journalism when it comes to hero worship.

9. doodah

doodah Guest

For those that aren't aware of how Forde acted like a "frat boy" can you explain?

Also, how did the Washington Post get an interview with somebody all the way up in PA. Seems like it might be out of their coverage area.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG did you just say the Washington Post has a "coverage area?"

And there are enough details in this thread for you to google the Forde/Paterno thing.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Agreed all the way.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

doodah's not really a moron.

He just plays one (as a Sock Puppet) on the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted