1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post cops reporter writes about own crack habit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 31, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

This was a good read, an interesting true story, well-told. I was gripped. I suspect others were, too. And isn't that basically the point?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Post's readers seem pretty evenly divided on the comments under the story. Presumably they live around D.C.

Of course there's only one correct position on this ... [/sarcasm]

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you're going by the comments under the story to back you up, you've already lost. With little to no accountability needed, you can get the most vile, racists, sexist, whatever kind of "-ist" comments you want on any story. It's why I don't even read the comments on the Post's site unless it's a transportation story.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, you should take the time to read the last one posted by "kodakmovement."
    It has none of the drivel you speak of and brings to light many of the concerns brought up on the first three pages here. Or, you can choose to ignore it too.
    There are questions, by nature, regarding the motive for a piece like this. It's undeniable.
    It's an opportunity, fair or not, for a someone to point and say: "A little look-at-me journalism."
    I have less of a problem with it knowing its placement.
    But, doesn't mean a reader won't question genesis to -30-.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Put this story in my local paper and I promise you 80% of the comments will say to deport the reporter back to Mexico.

Want to absolutely degrade your product? Post reader comments.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fish, if I made it seem like that's a hard and fast rule, then I apologize. Some reader comments are interesting. Many are just an opportunity for the kind of trash that wouldn't see the light of day on that site otherwise.

I didn't infer the tone from Rube's article to be "look at me" even if he makes clear he only recently felt comfortable talking about it. That's entirely subjective though. As for the motive, who knows, I guess? I haven't speculated on it, mostly just because I thought it was a well-written piece that had some relevance in the city.

7. actcasual

actcasual New Member

Someone who doesn't post much can't possibly be a dedicated lurker. Right?

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can agree.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I wasn't using them to back me up. I didn't quote any. I'm merely saying not all residents agree with you.

As for us non-residents, you're right. I never would have guessed that D.C. has a serious drug problem. I imagine it's a new phenomenon, too. Why there might even be an 8-year-old heroin addict named Jimmy in one of those neighborhoods. Perhaps the Post ought to look into it. :)

Actually, every morning for the past few years there's been an e-mail in my in-box containing links to WP stories. I don't click on all of them and missed this one until this thread. So while I don't know D.C. as well as you, I'm familiar with the newspaper, which I happen to think is the best-written paper in the country. It's possible for informed people to disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted