1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post cops reporter writes about own crack habit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well I guess I see it a little bit different. The LA times guy reporting on his pill addiction is different than this story to me. What I liked about this story is the fact he could be the next story on the beat he covered. That is what makes this a little different IMO.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You can't hold back on doing good journalism because you're afraid of what the public will think.

If you've got any kind of a nose for a great story... no way do you hold back on telling this one.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're confusing a "great story" and "great journalism."
    They're not always one in the same. This was a great story.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say.

Now this month's GQ story about the jerkoff ... umm, sperm donor. He made it journalism by getting into the fact that there's very little oversight beyond a few blood tests and a few basic questions, which is something I didn't know. He did some digging because if he had just written about beating off -- well, how interesting would that be considering most people have done that. But this WP piece, do we learn anything? I don't think so. Would make a decent movie maybe. I don't see much point in running it in a newspaper. TV? Well, yeah, it's an Oprah moment.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This was in the Post's Sunday magazine. That would seem to be an appropriate place for this kind of story, as opposed to the Metro section where Ruben does pretty damn good work day in and day out.

6. fishwrapper

That actually makes an enormous difference. Thanks for differentiating.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My fingers are cold from driving back from the movie with the window down, so I wouldn't be able to type as fast as I'd want to telling this story right now. Maybe tomorrow.

As for another poster's point about why is this more intriguing because it's a journalist telling the story ... coke/crack addiction (same thing really since crack *is* coke) knows no occupation. It's a love affair, really. Best lover I ever had, and that line always pisses off my friends because they say I think about it in the wrong ways by describing it as such. Thing is, she's a great lover and will love you no matter what, whether you're a journalist or mayor or unfortunate homeless person. The story can be told by anyone, for it's the same story with different locales, different circumstances, but wrapped around the same theme: the love for the greatest lover of all time.

The most killer moment of my existence, and for some this would be a disappointing statement, was the night the U.S. played Portugal in the World Cup, and I flew, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, in the farthest fantastic stratosphere I've ever known; just took a deep breath of gratification typing that sentence.

Anyhoo, I'll think about how I want to present the story here, should I present it. It wouldn't be a *oooh, look at me and my tale* story, rather one person's experience with living the exact way he wanted to live at that exact moment in time.

My fingers aren't quite as cold now, but they're not warm. Sort of that in-between temperature. Is there a word for that?

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I think a piece like this - which is very well-written - isn't a case of "my story is more important than yours," but rather an opportunity for a person who can write and display their thoughts and reactions colorfully to do just that.

Imagine if they had anyone come in off the street and attempt to write something like this. Would you have the imagery the writer provided? Maybe, but doubtful. His ability to craft words and tell his story make it a valuable piece of work.

A good job by him, both on and off the news pages.

9. fishwrapper

You managed to discount three arguments in one post.
    The point being made isn't his ability to deliver the message or the message. The question is, why can't he use his "experience" and "expertise" -- for a lack of term -- to tell the story of a non journalist.
    That being said, the piece's placement in the magazine allows the first-person freedom it enjoyed.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, he was elected to the city council and re-elected as mayor after the crack bust, so they don't seem to mind him much in DC.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In fact, he's still representing the city's poorest ward and serving as a constant thorn in the new mayor's side when it generates him some headlines.

12. fishwrapper

Yeah. I know. One of those "proud-to-be-an-American" stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted