1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post cops reporter writes about own crack habit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Same frequency as the cops do, I'm guessing.

2. I'll have to read this later. But Good Lord. ???

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Better him than the high school volleyball reporter. :eek:

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of these years I'll write about my dark nights in Roswell. I know EXACTLY what this story is all about. The thrill of it all outweighed any consequences I may have suffered by infinity. Well, the thrill ... and the fact I was an addict.

Two days before I left Roswell, I hawked a really nice Canon 35-mm camera and my DVD player (combined, probably worth $500) for $55 so I could feed the beast. I don't regret it because you can't regret the things you loved in the past.

Soon as I saw the part of the guy grabbing a gun, my mind jerked me back to the night I was in Chiahuita and the same thing happened, for the most part but with a few different circumstances, at 3:30 in the a.m.

I'll finish the rest of the story later. I'm intrigued.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The story is quite the read ... I think I want to hear more of Xan's story.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A bit of exhibitionism in doing a story like this, I think. Does the paper think this recovery story is more interesting than other recovery stories because it belongs to a reporter instead of, say, a janitor or a nurse or a district attorney or a cab driver? And what's new about this particular one? What insights does it bring that can't be read elsewhere? A traditional, multisource story about recovery from alcoholism or addiction, I can see running those from time to time.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a good story. Only beef I had with it is that it is 16 years later.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Probably not quite that high.

9. Same principle, though.

10. I disagree. There's power in first-writing done well. Why do you think so much fiction is written in that voice? Or that memoir is so popular? The fact that the guy was a cops reporter basically sucked into his city's biggest crime problem (I know F_B and others would disagree with that and it's duly noted), and the guy can write, is compelling enough to deserve this treatment.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You can disagree, fine. I am less concerned with the "power" of the writing -- the WP has a talented staff that produces no shortage of good writing every day -- than I am with the appropriateness of essentially saying to readers that of the thousands and thousands of people successfully recovering from substance-abuse problems in the D.C. area, this one is most worthy of news hole because it involves a journalist.

Also, if I were that guy's editor, I would have said: "That 12-step group you mention? The one that gave you the help you sought when you needed it? (Alcoholics, Narcotics, Cocaine) Anonymous? Isn't the anonymity thing because they don't want people appointing themselves as spokespeople for organizations that are run by consensus? Do you wish to come off the same as some celebrity who takes a limo from Betty Ford to Larry King? And sometimes winds up back at Betty Ford a year later?"

Again, exhibitionism. I am not saying the dude ought to be shunned like a plagiarist. I just find it unseemly on a couple levels. You don't have to agree with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted