1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington or Boston

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Which city would be more fun (and less expensive) to spend a weekend?

1. Washington, DC

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Boston

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Must admit: not much of a hockey fan. But I am friends with someone on the Red Sox, so I'd probably be able to get free tickets from him.

2. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

If the focus of your visit is going to a baseball game, then there's no discussion -- you must go to Boston.

But if it's to have a fun weekend, where attending a pro sporting event is just one of many things you want to do, I'd suggest DC.

All the DC stuff you want to see is centralized and easily accessible on foot or by Metro. And there's more to see in DC -- from Arlington Cemetery to the memorials to the museums (don't miss my favorite, the hidden and amazing gem that is Ford's Theatre) and National Archives. Georgetown and Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan are great places to go out (though you should probably cab it there).

Also, if you're going now, it's a lot warmer. The baseball and basketball both suck, but the hockey is great, affordable, and available.

But if you're going to a city to attend an NFL game, skip both Boston and Washington (I mean, Foxboro and Raljon) and get off the train in Baltimore.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Can you get me (and probably a bunch of other) SJers some tix, too? I only get to Fenway once every few years now, tickets are that expensive/scarce.

And JR, all things being equal, Verizon is a better place to watch a game than the New Garden -- you're closer to the action. But of course, not all of us enjoy The Fine Bastard's company!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I went to both places when I was about 10, and despite being bored out of my mind when I was 10, Washington is the place I remember the most.

Too many cool things.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't look now, but the Redskins are 7-4. The Patriots aren't bad either.

Having said that, FedEx Field's address hasn't been Raljon since The Danny bought the team. It's in Landover.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Never been to Boston but D.C. was very cool. Check out Ford's Theatre. Very cool.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Echo this sentiment. Love Boston. DC has singular and outstanding places to visit, but the overall vibe of the city is not a fun vibe, IMO.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I also heard that Union Station is actually something nice to visit, rather than just a place to catch the train.

Thanks for the input, IJAG and irish. But since I'd be going with my pops, the hoppin' night life won't be one of the main attractions. If I decided to go to Boston, we'd probably go in June; a DC trip would probably be in April or whenever the cherry blossoms are in full force.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

D.C. is great. But I wouldn't drive in the city. Just take the train.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The D.C. and Baltimore beltways make driving on any Boston roadway look like a retreat to the countryside.

Don't do it if you don't have to.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Many longtime residents of the area agree with you.

[quote author=Michael Echan]I also heard that Union Station is actually something nice to visit, rather than just a place to catch the train.[/quote]

It is. I've been there a number of times. There are restaurants and there's shopping on one level.

And actually, I heard once upon a time that Boston's traffic was worse than D.C.'s. Of course, this was about a decade or so ago. Things probably have changed.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Traffic in Boston is perpetual. You can get stuck in the O'Neill mid-afternoon Saturday if you so desire.

The drivers in D.C. are worse. Never have been cut off by so many people in my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted