1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Legalizes Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/washington-becomes-seventh-state-to-legalize-gay-marriage/2012/02/13/gIQAnm9ZBR_story.html

Great news, in my opinion. Which state do you think will be next?

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Who knows?

When this went down in my state, I argued the economic benefit to the social conservatives.

What other demographic would pay $251 a night for a bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere? :). They were an economic boon here for a year until the coastal states legalized it.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Could be NJ.
    State Assembly and Senate have passed a bill legalizing it. Gov.Christie has vowed to veto it (he prefers to put it to a voter referendum, saying it's an issue that should not be legislated but should be decided by the voters).
    Not sure if the Dems would try to muster the votes for an override, which would require some Republicans to cross the aisle.
    Latest polls say a majority (albeit a slim majority) of New Jerseyians support gay marriage.
    If a bill manages to get through putting it to a voter referendum (and the Dem in charge of the state senate has vowed to block any bill that puts it to a referendum) it would ask the question should gay marriage be legal (as opposed to the popular ballot question in many other states asking if it should be banned).

4. Story on the AP wire yesterday on the Lovings, a groundbreaking interracial couple.

There are some parallels between the shit they went through and the current gay marriage debate.

Read the story this morning in the good old-fashioned newspaper.

Shocked to read the Va. judge's comments when he sentenced the couple. And the fact the Sheriff broke into their bedroom in the middle of the night to arrest them!?

Anyway, good read. If I had HBO I'd watch the documentary tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/loving-story-shows-unlikely-civil-rights-heroes-203147520.html

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, that judge seemed to forget who "interfered with His arrangement" in mixing up the races in the first place. It sure wasn't the African-Americans.

And there's really nothing shocking with how Southern law enforcement acted back then. Hell, they frequently tied the rope to the tree.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The contemporary attitudes against gay marriage will seem just as shocking in 40 years, thank goodness.

7. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

'man on dog'

8. "Southern" in this case is Virginia, near Washington D.C.
    A far cry from the deep south.

9. Not sure I see your point. Is Virginia not really Southern, or is it the attitude worse farther South? Because rural Virginia can be as Deep South as it gets.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Virginia had 100 total reported lynchings between 1882-1968, 83 of them black. Nearly the same number as North Carolina.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingsstate.html

And segregation was practiced in Washington, D.C, to the point that Marian Anderson wasn't allowed to sing in Constitution Hall by the freedom-loving D.A.R. in 1939.

Yeah, I'd count Virginia as the South.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've said for years and years that there is a palpable change when you cross the Mason-Dixon Line, like from Pennsylvania into Maryland. The attitudes, the sensibilities, shift.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Elsewhere, Chris Christie, perhaps with an eye towards Washington, says he'll veto gay-marriage legislation in NJ:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/new-jersey-gay-marriage-chris-christie_n_1277395.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Draft saved Draft deleted