1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington DC Trip Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Jun 28, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Other than what you're thinking, it's a pretty good location and a damn nice house.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

One of my clients owns the property. Its tax value is greater than $5 million, I think.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. That place is massive. I saw some pictures of the inside after the renovations for the RW. Ridiculous.

I walked past it a few weeks ago not knowing anything about the place.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your advice. This will surely make our trip a better experience.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First couple of years in town, I lived up the hill from there. Quite remarkable.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the people living around the house would be more interesting than the people MTV selected for the show.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My plans have thankfully changed, and I will be attending a rooftop party at 20th and N. If all goes well (meaning I get drunk) I will try to become, as a friend of mine suggested, "a blurred-out face in the Real World hot tub."

8. sostartled

sostartled Member

I went a couple weeks after it reopened. It seemed the same as pre-renovation but they were still adding exhibits. The layout was the same as I remembered it.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I had to interview in Washington to join the Navy, so the day I took the oath to defend the Constitution, I went and saw it at the National Archives. The next day, I took a twilight bus tour of several monuments, including Iwo Jima. The whole experience felt enhanced because of the time of day (and I've been back several times since, including many of the same sites, and the time of day made it feel different). But the place that truly shocked me was the Vietnam Memorial. Even as I walked up to it, I thought, eh. But as you walk along the wall, you slowly get enveloped by it. It's an amazingly touching feeling. I also went to the books with the names index and found a guy with the same last name (Orla Daniel Hammack) with my birthday (different year, obviously).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Not to threadjack, but I'll be at the Barry Manilow concert in Pittsburgh on Monday night. Yes, I admit it and I'm not ashamed.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We went there this past March.

1. Air and Space Museum. The one at Dulles was spectacular, not crowded, and had a lot more good stuff than the one on the Mall.

2. Arlington Cemetery. A must. The changing of the guard and the sheer number of tombstones are incredible. Every one has a story, it seems.

3. Ford's Theater. I was amazed at how small the theatre was, and how close everybody was the the president's box, but othersise was underwhelmed. You go in as a group, every half-hour or so. They should have some sort of re-enactment or at least an audio tape recreating the assasination. At least it was free.

4. Mt. Vernon was nice, but we had to wait a long time to get inside the mansion.

Didn't go to the zoo, and took the metro in from Vienna every day. Once we figured out the ticketing, it was a breeze.

My 10-year-old loved the Spy Museum, but I didn't. The Capitol tour was outstanding, and I really enjoyed the White House visitors center (off the WH grounds). It had lots of history and great photos.

The Smithsonian American History museum was outstanding. There's so much to see, we spent about three hours and I'd love ot go back. The military history part is great and so is the pop culture stuff and the transportation exhibits.

The Vietnam Memorial and new WWII memorials are powerful; the Korean War one or the new FDR memorial didn't do much for me. If you want to go up in the Washington Monument, get in line about 7:30 a.m., get your tickets and then go do something else.

Can't vouch for dinner as we ate out in the burbs every night.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll disagree on the Korean Monument. For me, seeing the squad of soldiers slugging their way through a cold Korean landscape brought home the harshness of the climate and geography and the pure anguish these guys experienced during that war.

Draft saved Draft deleted