1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington DC Trip Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Jun 28, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Many things listed here are free.

If you are doing this on a budget, I would reccommended looking into the free stuff because you are investing nothing if you think the place is a dud.

You have to find a good spot for the fireworks, though. I cannot give that advice, but I don't think leaving 30 minutes before sunset works.

Oh, you can eat a Five Guys burger almost anywhere now. Go with another suggestion.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When I went a couple of years ago, I placed myself behind the Iwo Jima monument and was thoroughly impressed.

Not my pic, but pretty representative of what I saw.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I have no problem admitting I think that might have brought tears to my eyes, if I had been there.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Believe me, there were certainly some old dudes (although age doesn't matter) with the faucets running.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Unfortunately, I will be on the Mall on Saturday for the fireworks. I would not choose to battle the heat and the crowds, but the fact that my girlfriend bought a picnic basket for the occasion sealed my doom. There's a concert beforehand with Aretha Franklin and Barry Manilow, so at least that will be interesting.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I did the Fourth on the mall about 10 years ago. It wasn't bad.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It has reopened. I haven't been there yet, though.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

About three doors down from Ray's Hell Burger in the same shopping center is a great little Mexican place, Guajillo. Loved the enchiladas there. Not cheap, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You could always go hang out with the Real World cast, which, I believe, just moved into their Dupont Circle mansion yesterday or today.

2000 S. Street NW, I think. Enjoy.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Guajillo is really good. There's also an amazing Pho place, Pho 75, in that shopping center. Even before Ray's opened, parking was tough there. Now it's close to impossible.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My God...do I love some Pho! Sooooo good. Thankfully, there are only about 826 Pho places within 10 miles from my house.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dupont Circle?

Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted