1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington DC Trip Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Jun 28, 2009.

1. On escalators, you stand on the right, walk on the left.

Don't stop as soon as you get off the Metro car because you have no idea where you are going.

Don't stand directly in front of where the escalator ends.

Georgetown is incredibly overrated, except in the summer when students are gone. Even so, extremely pretentious.

Froggy Bottom just might have the cheapest beer specials in the District. Almost to the point where it should be illegal. Prepare for $5 drafts and $2-2.50 sodas everywhere else.

The best Mexican food in the city is in Mt. Pleasant (16th and Mt. Pleasant NW).

Eastern Market on the weekends is incredible (Eastern Market on blue/orange lines). Capitol Hill in general is outstanding. Prepare for idiots with dual strollers all over the place.

Arlington sucks if you don't live here. Why anybody would recommend you waste time there when you should be spending it in the District is beyond me. And don't even bother driving on the GW Parkway on a weekday (why you would even want to drive while vacationing in DC is also beyond me).

Have fun. Great place.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think people were recommending visiting Arlington Cemetery, not hanging out in, say, Clarendon (except for the Ray's recommendation).

3. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

I thought the Spy Museum was terribly overrated -- another of those museums with just a lot of photos on the walls and some movies. It was quite a letdown. I also thought it was much too expensive, especially given the preponderance of free (and vastly superior) museums throughout the city.

No question, the Holocaust Museum hits you hard. It's difficult to see actual Nazi boxcars and Zyklon-B canisters and not come out shaken. But it's also an unforgettable experience.

4. I agree on the Cemetery. A must visit.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is a fact.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's a dining room/restaurant with a balcony that overlooks the WH. I had brunch there years ago. We sat right on the rail, looking down on the White House. I spent most of the meal wondering if the Secret Service kept undercover agents stationed at the restaurant 24/7.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Actually, July 3 is "Bang Zoom Go The Fireworks" night. Bang Zoom. Sigh.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

As for D.C. recommendations, let me be the 83rd person to recommend Arlington Cemetery. An incredibly beautiful, historic and sad place.

The National Arboretum is also a beautiful place to relax and walk around.

http://www.usna.usda.gov

9. CNY

CNY Member

You're probably thinking about the Hotel Washington, which is about to reopen as a W Hotel. Their website says the grand opening is July 8.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You could be correct. I should look it up.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Detective Jimmy just summed it all up. Just the facts. Listen to him. Especially about the fucking escalators. Get the fuck outta the way!

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much all that. The last part, about driving...why not? If it's a nice drive, it's worth it, at least to me. If you take the GW as the sun is coming up or going down, it's a beautiful drive. And it's not like it takes 2 hours. Hell, he could make the drive part of his trip down to Mt. Vernon.

Good tip on the Mexican food, tho. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted