1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington DC Travel Tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Burgers and fries at Good Stuff are good stuff indeed. It seemed pretty kid friendly too (at least when I was there).

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The one thing I remember about DC is the last legal parking space was taken in 1961.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Excellent point, too. The metro was the favorite part of the trip for the 4 and 7 year olds I previously mentioned.

Also, be aware that metro is doing a lot of track work and stations and sections of various lines are closed on some weekends. During the week, they do single-tracking during off-peak times, but no stations are closed. Also, I cannot stress this enough. When on metro escalators, stay to the right if you're not walking up the escalators. This is something that locals hate about tourists, especially if you're traveling during rush hours. Stand right, walk left. For info on metro closures, their website is wmata.com.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My kids have gone back to DC/Maryland every year of their lives (mom is from there; I stopped going about 4 yrs ago) and I can say it sounds like you've got everything down.

I loved our personal tour through our local congressperson's office; great to ride the underground railway.

The Zoo is awesome, great for families.

Smithsonians are wonderful, Air & Space are my favorites and do not miss the original Stealth Bomber SR-71 at Dulles.

Mt. Vernon was fun as well.

Metro is great way to get around, makes me long for it here in SF/CA

Enjoy, hope its an early spring in April.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Isn't that Cherry Blossom Festival weekend? If so, it'll be pretty but crowded along the Tidal Basin.

Great week to go regardless.

Lots and lots of walking. Your 4 year old will be fine. I did when I was 4. But my favorite thing, by far, when I was 4? The Metro. "This is the red line train to Shady Grove ..."

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

if the kids like baseball, there's always a Nats game. great stadium right off the metro and tix are fairly easy to come by given how terrible they are.
    Also try Mt. Vernon. It's the one thing you'll have to drive to but if your older kid is starting to read about George Washington, a visit to his house might be pretty cool.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Easy there.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't believe in Zimmerman(n). I just believe in Steve.

I hate touristy crap. But if you have kids, the Spy Museum is going to be far more entertaining (and similarly pricey, especially considering all the free museums in the city) than the Newseum to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Since your youngest is four, I would just be careful you are not dragging her along rather than working with her. Other than the Zoo, the youngest might get fidgety in a lot of the places your oldest will love.

Since this "winter" has been so mild, there is no telling when those blossoms are going to bloom.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes.

If you're staying in Crystal City and want to go directly downtown (i.e. not Arlington Cemetery) and not out of the way, take the Yellow Line and not the Blue. It'll save you a few minutes.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

"Next stop, Foggy Bottom."

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My two biggest interests (Air & Space and Newseum) were really disappointments.

Maybe because I had been to Kennedy Space Center and Astronaut Hall of Fame several times before, the Air & Space didn't really thrill me much. And at Newseum we kept saying, "There has to be something else here to see, doesn't there?" No, I guess not.

Thoroughly enjoyed everything else we saw.

Draft saved Draft deleted