1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington DC Museum/Art Gallery Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, May 31, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, my older sister is headed to DC for four days. She's a fine arts major/retired academic librarian and likes nothing more than to spend a day touring galleries and museums.

She's got all the majors planned out like the National Gallery, the Portrait Gallery, etc but can any Washingtonians recommend little gems that visitors to the capital might not normally see or museums that aren't on the regular tours?

Merci.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

There's a small place in the Smithsonian complex on the Mall called the Freer (or something similiar). It's next door to the castle and more historical than art-based. Not very big but free and we were one of like 9 people there when we visited with my in-laws.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Two others that aren't as big as the Smithsonians and the National Gallery are the Phillips Collection (http://www.phillipscollection.org/) and the Corcoran Gallery of Art (http://www.corcoran.org/index.asp). They're both pretty popular, but I would say they are less visited than the biggies.

If she's interested in architecture and design, the National Building Museum is great. There's also The Octagon Museum, which run by the American Architectural Foundation. I can't vouch for it, since I've never been.

In addition to Hustle's recommendation of the Freer, there's also the Sackler. They focus mainly on Asian art, but have pieces from other countries in their collections, I believe. They are both part of the Smithsonian, so admission is free.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dyno, she may or may not know about these but thanks a million for the suggestions.

The National Building Museum would be near the top of my list.

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted