1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washing machine question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We just got a new front-loading washer today. The guy who dropped it off and hooked it up said to use only the new high-efficiency detergent, and the owner's manual said the same thing. The manual, though, seemed to indicate that the only real problem with using normal liquid detergent is that it makes more suds. Has anyone used normal detergent in one of these washers? Does it screw up any of the washer's inner workings, or is it not a problem at all?
    A couple weeks ago, before the old washer gave up the ghost, I bought a big jug of normal detergent (haven't even opened it yet) and I'd hate to throw it away or give it away. I'd like to use it up before I start buying the HE stuff.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think the suds are more of a problem because it doesn't use as much water, so the soap might not all rinse out.

But I used the regular stuff at the front-loaders at the laundromat and just used less.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-testing/from-the-lab-blog/laundry-detergent-how-much-is-

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd use the stuff meant for that machine on the new washer. And don't overload it. The front loaders don't just rattle and shake like the top loaders, the drums are held up by springs and if one goes they can smash shocks and do several hundred dollars worth of damage.

Trust me on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted