1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash Post: With Readers, Sports Pages Can't Win

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 14, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wonderful stories, but missed the point entirely.
    Journalists complained in 1880. And they complain in 2007. They're deadlines, not suggestions.
    The anecdotes tell us there are more people living over more square miles.
    Maybe because there are 300 million of us.  All of which aren't educated. All of which do not speak the language -- and if they do speak the language, it is their second. All of which couldn't give two shits who won the Mariners' game. So, newspapers have to drive farther to find the Mariners fan (your i.e., rich suburbanite). So, to find the Mariners fan, we need to move the deadlines up.
    I'm aware of the concept.
    In addition, you have other factors. Delivery time to dropoff centers. Traffic. Diesel fuel cost. Size of trucks allowed on highways and byways. The contracts signed by delivery crew. Etc.
    That's why the deadlines are earlier. It's not because corporate or the publisher wants an inferior product. You have to be able to deliver the product in a time that is useful for the consumer.
    Then you mix in Sports as a primetime event, and you have an impossible.

Brings me back to an earlier post:

I restate not because I'm fond of quoting myself. (Although, I liked that one a little bit.)
    But, earlier deadlines is a newspaper's attempt at adapting. Nothing more.

2. The Commish

The Commish Guest

You mean like this?

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Par Ridder's motives appear to be aligning political affiliation.
    But, the concept goes past that. Declining readership in urban centers has long been a problem for big metros. There are exceptions, New York being the big one. But as urban centers became highly ethnic, newspapers searched for the suburbs. Many big papers added suburban editions.
    La Opinion (Spanish) and Chosun USA (Korean) sprout up in Los Angeles. The Nikkei Weekly, Japan Times and Mainichi Daily in Seattle and San Francisco. The Cuban Nation in Miami. Al Dia in Dallas.
    The pie gets smaller and finding the readers will be the ultimate test.

Draft saved Draft deleted