1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash. Post social experiment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Next, I learn how to Photoshop.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Are the dicks attached to anyone?

If so, who?

If not, where are their owners?

3. In the Big Bag O' Eunuchs.
    Optional at extra cost.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D Oh dear.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if we have a Big Bag O Dicks and A Big Bag O Eunuchs, what is this stuff made from?

[​IMG]

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A bowl of dicks must be accompanied by a frosty mug of STFU[/itsawonderfullifesjstyleedition2]

7. Just the thing to go with the Bag O' Dicks in my c-rations.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Fly, meme, fly!

9. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Beautifully written story. Made better by Fenian's dislike.

And the reference to "haute cuisine restaurants" is so...elitist.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I purposefully didn't read this when it was published. Don't know why. Everyone I knew was talking about it. My wife read it, loved it, and said it brought her to tears. Still couldn't read it. I think it was out of frustration, to be honest. I work at a newspaper that was once ambitious and bold enough to allow this kind of writing and thinking, and now as that same newspaper circles the drain, it's almost more discouraging to read stories like this than it is inspiring. And I hate being the person who is discouraged by art instead of inspired by it. The person I connected the most with in the piece was the guy who gave up the violin at age 18 because he knew he'd never play like Joshua Bell.

"If you love something but choose not to do it professionally, it's not a waste. Because, you know, you still have it. You have it forever."

Unfortunately, that's sort of how I feel that way about the Writing Life lately.

I think Fenian's point about the story is a fair one. It does seem gimmicky, and the conclusion a little snotty, though obviously beautifully written. The question of whether we're too busy to recognize beauty is an interesting one, but it's sort of unfair in this context, and I think easily shot down. The one quote I really didn't like was the one from the British author John Lane:

"This is about having the wrong priorities," Lane said.

Really? That, to me, is elitist and unfair, and makes me lean a little more toward Fenian's POV. Is recognizing beauty as important as taking your kids to school? Or arriving at work on time, as a civil servant, to make certain that various forms of government run properly? Is there no romance in responsibility or discipline? As Matt Damon says in Good Will Hunting, There's honor in that. I don't know the answers, but I do think it's unfair to frame it that the world is uncarring and unfeeling simply because only a handful out of 1,000 people stopped. I think we all want to believe we might have stopped, even if we're not dreamers at heart, but I am as much a sponge for art, poetry, literature and music as anyone I know, and I can't say for certain I would have stopped. Sadly, I think I probably wouldn't have stopped if I was on my way to work, but I might have thought briefly about how the violinist seemed to be providing the soundtrack for my melancholy. But if I were visiting D.C. as a tourist, I probably would have viewed it differently.

For what it's worth, the most meaty discussion of this piece occurred here, after it won a Pulitzer:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54914/

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This work is largely a beggar's game, and dependent on patrons, and dependent upon people's perceptions of the utility of the research. Meaning right now is a really shitty time for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted