1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash Post Intern: Coverage of Russia vs. Georgia way way biased

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You know, if you invade a country and start targeting civilians with cluster bombs and no mercy as "punishment" then yeah, you may not get favorable press.

2. The thing is, you could be talking about either Georgia or Russia here. Russia's was worst, but Georgia's was first.

3. I just read on what appears to be a blog that the number of casualties from Georgia's invasion was more like 45 than 1,500 - hardly genocide. Anyone see that in mainstream press?

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The Russians are so concerned about "fair and balanced" media that they've blocked internet from getting out of Georgia. Spin, spin away.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Really, Georgia used cluster bombs while invading another country? Because if so that's news to me and everyone else who has covered the story, including those reporting from inside Georgia.

6. I'm saying Georgia also invaded a country, resulting in deaths. Anyone reporting from that country? Georgia letting those people into there?

I just don't think American journalists should be telling the public which side to root for.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Technically, Georgia "invaded" its own territory, if we go by the standard of the international community's acknowledgment of South Ossetia's independence, which so far has been non-existent.

8. As I said, I'm learning as I go.

So did they have the 'right' to strong-arm South Ossetia? From what I read, Georgia knew Russia would be pissed when they did what they did, and did it anyway.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If I had to say one way or the other, I'd say they had the right. But I don't argue against your second point. It was a bad idea for them to exercise their rights in this case, and they had to know what would happen.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Column would have been more effective if the author's last name was Papadopolous rather than Ivanova.

11. I know someone who's married to a Russian woman. Her feelings, not surprisingly, mirror that of the intern. Her view is that Georgia is attempting genocide on the province and that Georgia was allowed independence from Russia and that the province should be allowed to go back to Russia, if it wants.

I think my basic point is there's history here that goes back 1,000 years. I wouldn't want to be the reporter who has to say one side is right and the other is wrong in a news story. It's not my place.

And how come no one has confirmed how many people Georgia killed? Why is there no confirmation? Reporters can get into Georgia, but why can't anyone get into the province?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I understand your point perfectly. Of course, I'm hearing the perspective of someone named "Romanova". She hates Putin but also believes Georgia started the conflict and deserves much of the blame.

You won't hear her (or your) point very often in American media. That's just the way it is in an environment where our allies are always deemed to be 100% right, and anyone else is evil and 100% wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted