1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash Post Intern: Coverage of Russia vs. Georgia way way biased

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/14/AR2008081403048.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The best I can say is that this is a wildly different point of view from any other I've seen in an American paper. I'm not really buying it, and think some of it is straight up propaganda. But it's out there.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can she Twitter? If she can, she's got a twin sister in fantasyland...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Critical left-out factoid: The writer is Russian.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's clearly established in the story. Didn't know I needed to address it here.

5. Her story was biased before she even started writing.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This line made me read the rest without paying too much attention:

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't we go over the berm in Iraq at night too?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

While I appreciated the Russian perspective on their move, it really doesn't explain what Russian troops are doing in areas nowhere near South Ossetia.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They got lost.
    Their navigational systems were made in America.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's definitely way out there. But I will say this:

I read at least a couple stories from U.S. newspapers/news services immediately after Russia crossed the border that didn't even mention that Georgian troops had moved into South Ossetia first.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've had to talk to a Congressman from our area the last few nights because two quasi-local sisters who visited their grandparents in Georgia are now stuck in the middle of this mess, and he's been working every political corner to try to get them home. Last night he told me that this thing is so close to getting very critical very fast.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Though South Ossetia is within Georgia's internationally recognized borders.

Not saying Georgia made the right move here and there's some blame to be put there. But the reaction up north of there has been extremely out of bounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted