1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash. Post columnist: Time to shut down the small papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 10, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We have a small daily (under 4K), four small weeklies (Between 500-3K) and small one bi-weekly (Roughly 5K). In all, we've lost 144 subscriptions in the past year. That doesn't take in account the fact that we're making more money YE 2008 than YE 2007 and doesn't take in account the fact that the economic crunch has forced most people to chop out things they don't need.

If our company can make it (granted, we're short staffed and face the struggles everyone else does) this far, then I don't see why most small papers can't continue to do so as well.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would like to know this. Actually, I know the answer; I'd just like the author to answer me this.

a) Is there any overall interest in high school sports?

b) Without small newspapers, who will provide high school sports coverage? How will the guy in West Podunk know where his team stands in the standings?

It may, in and by itself, seem like a rather minor issue. Even some of our friends on here don't acknowledge prep sports coverage as having any draw. Well, the rest of us know different.

But of course, the author hasn't lowered himself to attend a high school sporting event since he was, like, in high school.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. Down in this area, the only "big paper" is the Providence Journal and while some of their guys are certainly good to deal with (Lee & Thornton are pretty nice, friendly people), they clearly have no idea whatsoever about covering HS sports.

They come to a handful of events during the regular season, write some fluff pieces and then act like they're the end all-be all when the playoffs roll around. Their "in-depth coverage" of the postseason is actually scary since most of what they write, with the exception of names and teams, could be applied to any team in any sport.

"Podunk High knew this season would be tough. Sunday, they overcame the obstacles."

I'd be willing to bet that over the course of one week the "small papers" in both our company and in the area in general put out more content HS sports related than the Projo does in an entire season.

Draft saved Draft deleted