1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash. Post columnist: Time to shut down the small papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 10, 2008.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

As of now, we're fully staffed. It's like I always say around here, "We're in no danger of losing anybody. Nobody's hiring."

2. VJ

VJ Member

Pretty sure I'll listen to someone who's won a Pulitzer over a random SportsJournalists.com poster.

While the small papers right now might be in better economic shape than Gannett or Tribune, that doesn't mean they will be 5 years from now.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Actually I'm right in what I said. Just use common sense and look at the numbers.
    But that is for another day. This is about a guy blaming smaller papers for the fall of bigger papers.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why would you listen to him? Does he walk on water or something? What he's won doesn't have a bearing on what's going on now. I think you might be giving this guy too much credit.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here. Numbers. Look.

The United States is an urbanized nation, with 80.8% of its population of 305,186,613[1] residing in cities and suburbs as of mid-year 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Does someone have to walk on water to be worth listening to?

By the way, I looked at the numbers again:

*Two-thirds of our population live in the top 100 metropolitan areas
    *84 percent live in all 363 metros

Apply some common sense to that and tell me how "most Americans DO NOT live in metropolis (sic) areas."

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He's right about one thing. Being at a small daily I can tell you we don't offer a "full range of local, national and international news and features." We don't even try to offer a full range of international and national coverage and very few people complain. We're a local paper. We do a great job covering local stories and rely on the wires for regional coverage and customers are happy with that.

McDonald's doesn't a full range of gourmet options, they do what they do and that's great for them.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

What is your source?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

You said it best. The customers are happy.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Why do I need a source? You didn't question the accuracy of the numbers. You said someone needed to apply common sense to them.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Anyway,

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that of those 363 metros, many are not what people would consider a metro area. The cutoff point is basically a little more than 100,000 people living not in the city, but in the area.
    So Bay City, Mich. with its 107,517 people and checking in at No. 363 is a metro area. Or Anniston, Alabama, home of the finest small-town, family-owned newspapers in the country, and checking in at No. 350.
    So you could live out in the wilds of Alabama and be as rural as they come, and still live in a metro area.
    Back to the Post's guy's point, the Anniston Star, a paper that is also hugely profitable or at least was, should close so that the Washington Post can have a larger market share?
    Really?

Draft saved Draft deleted