1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was that an earthquake in Chicago ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 10, 2010.

  1. Football_Bat

    Football_Bat Well-Known Member

    ... or just the Shuffling Crew playing shuffleboard?


    No Oprah jokes, please. :mad:
  2. Bob Cook

    Bob Cook Active Member

    My family slept through it.
  3. YankeeFan

    YankeeFan Well-Known Member

    I felt it. I'm not sure if it woke me up or if I was in between sleep, but I felt it; thought it felt like an earthquake; didn't think it was an earthquake; went back to bed.

    To be honest, I kind of forgot about it until I woke up and saw the headlines.

    BTW, is the Richter Scale the worst system of measurement ever? They've revised the magnitude of today's quake to 3.8. The linked article says that the 7.0 that struck Haiti was 1,600 times stronger than this morning's.

    To any normal person, that makes no sense.

  4. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    I'm far from normal, but it makes perfect sense to me. Each number indicates a magnitude 10 times stronger than the last. 5 is 10 times more powerful than 4, which is 10 times more powerful than 3. So 5 is 100 times more powerful than 3.

    It's relatively simple exponential math.
  5. YankeeFan

    YankeeFan Well-Known Member

    I get that & I remember reading it before. I guess I just have to remember it each time.

    And I suppose that the scale would have to go from 1 to a million if it weren't exponential, but I'll bet you that 90% of people would assume that a 7.0 is twice as strong as a 3.5. (The other 10% would think that, but would fuck up the math.)
  6. Mizzougrad96

    Mizzougrad96 Active Member

    A 7.0 earthquake could hit any American city and would do minimal damage.
  7. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    Possibly the dumbest thing ever posted here.


    If you don't feel like reading, that was 6.9.
  8. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member


    Oh, and this one was 6.7.

    The fail is strong in this one.
  9. YankeeFan

    YankeeFan Well-Known Member

    Today wasn't much at all, but I would imagine that one 1,600 times stronger would do some damage.
  10. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    According to CNN, the scale most often used now is 'moment magnitude', which measures the amount of energy released. In that frame of reference, each whole number increase represents 32 times more energy released.
  11. Mystery Meat II

    Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

    Yes, but it doesn't really do justice to the difference between quakes. It'd be like rating Michael Jordan a 7.0 basketball player and a burning sack of green Jell-O and ostrich turds a 3.6.
  12. OnTheRiver

    OnTheRiver Active Member

    If the sack of Jell-O and turds is wearing a Knicks uniform, the league will WANT it to succeed.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page