1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Michigan-Ohio State really a classic?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Terence Mann, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I ask because I worked that day and didn't see it, but I plan to watch tonight on ESPN Classic -- because apparently it became an "Instant Classic." The folks in my market tell me the game wasn't as close as the score suggests, that the last Michigan touchdown was meaningless, that it was really an 11-point game, that it didn't live up to the hype. True? The suggestion is it's being called a classic by those who want a rematch or who think these are the best two teams in the country, but other people say no.

I'm sure this has been debated on other threads a bit, but was this game really a classic, or just a high-profile game because of the context, but one that really doesn't measure up?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If this is a classic, then so is Super Bowl XVI.

Super Bowl XVI was only close because the Bengals scored in the final minute.

3. stevenash

stevenash Member

hell yeah it was classic. OSU was up like 28-7 at half, and then Michigan fought back to bring it closer. i think they lost by 7 or something, but i was amazed on how OSU was getting destroyed for good bit of the second half.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It wasn't a "classic" but I wouldn't say it wasn't close. That Michigan touchdown wasn't meaningless because if Michigan would've recovered the onside kick, they would've had a chance to tie or win the game. There was also that dumb penalty with around 9 minutes left by Shawn Crable on Troy Smith which gave OSU a 1st down inside the Michigan 20 instead of 4th 13(I think it was 13). That would've resulted in a field goal and would've given the buckeyes a 38 to 31 lead instead of 42-31.
    People talk about how OSU did a great job by putting up 42 on Michigan's defense but no one talks about how Michigan put up 39 on OSU's great defense.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It was every bit the classic as West Virginia-Louisville.

6. stevenash

stevenash Member

true, but the helmet-to-helmet contact was b.s., if ur gonna call that, then u might as well call every other tackle, that because almost all tackles involves helmet to helmet. bad call id say, ruined Michigan's chances

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wasn't it a late hit? Anyways, it was still a dumb play.

8. stevenash

stevenash Member

not that i believe, but there was a late hit in that drive, i think before the helmet-to-helmet contact one

9. 9 minutes until my favorite team beats Michigan for the second time in five days.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

WAS an instant classic. Features include: the greatest play-action pass you'll see in three lifetimes, two long, splendid runs through a previously indefatigable defensive line, hits harder than Drago's that a QB shook off, Michigan putting together some really nice drives, and an Art Monk-like tippy-toe touchdown to seal it.

11. It was a very exciting game because of the offense, but OSU was leading for almost the entire game. The only time Michigan had the lead was after their first possesion TD, which OSU quickly responded to, and after that, it might have been tied one more time. Michigan's TD was basically meaninless because they would have had to recover an onside kick.

12. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah, but still its how quickly MICHIGAN scored their first touchdown. yes i know OSU won, but MICHIGAN stunned OSU, which forced OSU to step up their game, because they knew then it wasn't goin to be a cake walk

Draft saved Draft deleted