1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was it a sign or just a dumb bird?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, I'm driving down a highway in Idaho last week. I have the window down, enjoying a Pall Mall when suddenly the girlfriend screams.

Out of the corner of my eye I see something sailing toward the car.

I didn't have much time, but I started to duck - which probably wasn't the best idea while going 65 mph.

There is a loud thwack and then something hits me in the head.

I start yelling, somehow don't drop my cigarette and eventually pull over into a grassy area.

My brother, and his family, who were in the car behind me drove by laughing thinking I had dropped a cigarette in my lap. If only I would have been so lucky.

Some sort of bird - about pigeon size, though with orange streaks in the feathers - hit my window sill, broke it's neck and slammed into my head.

It fell in between my leg and the door and I had the distinct non-pleasure of picking it up by the wing and throwing it into the road.

I've hit one bird in my lifetime with a car. I have never heard of a car flying toward an open window and hitting the driver in the head.

Anyway, that is all.

Oh, and here is a picture of the bird that hit me:

[​IMG]

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for the pic. I needed that.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Cerrano kill a living thing?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

[​IMG]

Why did you kill me, Angola?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Cause you took two-of-three from the Yankees?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He looks so happy. Ready for anything life has to offer. Except suffering a broken neck and spending his final moments in Angola's lap.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe it was a her.

Anyway, I would add a poll, but I just realized I don't know how.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I once hit a huge hawk on Christmas day. Was driving from one relative's house to another, and it came out of the brush and just flew into my windshield. The impact made a tremendous noise -- I'm still amazed it didn't break the windshield.

Near as my brother and I could tell, it sort of angled off and landed in some high brush 50 yards away or so. Hearts thumping, we talked it out and figured a) it was probably dead or dying; 2) even if we tried to approach it, it would likely seriously hurt us; and c) there was no way any animal control agency was going to come out there on Christmas.

So we left. I still feel bad and wish I had done, I don't know, something.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm just impressed he didn't lose his cig.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You say that like it's a bad thing.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hit an owl last week with my driver's-side mirror. Fucker busted it up and popped the glass out of it. Luckily I was able to pop the mirror back into place, otherwise I was looking at $500 to replace it because it's motorized.

Draft saved Draft deleted