1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was It a Maple Bat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

May be discussed already on baseball thread, I thought it deserved its own. I always hear announcers say when a bat explodes that "someone is going to get hurt badly."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/mobile/sports/sfl-cubs-player-impaled-marlins-game-091910,0,7909267.story

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dunno if it was a maple bat, but feel really bad for Tyler Colvin. I was fortunate to cover him years ago. Good kid and it was pretty obvious he had the potential to keep advancing his career.

Does a maple bat disintegrate any differently from an ash bat? Serious question ...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know - it seems to "explode" into pieces rather than just break. And those pieces fly. Commentators are always talking about it.

When Dunn signed with the Nats, he actually said he was going to stop using maple and go back to ash because he feared injuring someone. He was using maple in his third or fourth game.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I've heard announcers talking about how much worse maple bats splinter.

I have seen a lot more bats break apart in smaller pieces this year, as opposed to 2-3 in past years.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Posted this on the baseball thread. I was watching the game when it happened. He was watching the ball and never saw the bat coming. He crossed the plate and you could tell something was wrong.

Few inches higher and it's a hell of a lot worse.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yes, maple bats explode into splinters where traditional ash tends to just break. This has reached epidemic proportions over the last few years with the increased use of maple because they do supposedly give more pop out of a lighter bat. Baseball has a study going where they now collect all broken bats for study to see if it's a maple/ash difference or something else.

Maple may not be totally at fault. Much of the fault is in the fact that no player except a handful choose to swing a log nowadays. Everyone has grown up swinging composite bats from day one through college, and when they get to the pros and have to start using wooden bats, they try to shave them to replicate what they are used to, but the bats fail.

George Brett and his brother have a company that is producing a bat made from laminated pieces of hickory that's supposed to be almost fail safe but can't get them cleared because the rules call for a solid, single piece of wood. (this may not be 100 percent accurate in my relating of the story, but it's close as I understand it.)

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

How much of the bat, well, impaled him? I'm not in front of a TV right now, and the linked story makes it seem like it wasn't a splinter but a very sizeable chunk.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Here's a replay, until MLB's goon squad finds it.

The story says, and the replay shows, that the shard didn't stick in his skin. Seems like it just cut him deep, and in a bad spot, although it could've been a lot worse.

9. Smash Williams

So not really impaled like the story headline suggests, but still really quite nasty. Um, ow.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The bat didn't stick but the wound was deep enough to potentially collapse his lung. I'd say that's a fairly serious injury.

11. Smash Williams

Oh, no doubt it's a serious injury.

But like I said, I am not in front of TV and didn't see it until the YouTube clip, and the headline led to mental images of like ... 2/3 of a bat sticking out of someone's chest as he touched home.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Story says Castillo said he has only used maple.
    And by using impaled implies to the bat staying lodged in his chest. I guess anyone that ever gets stabbed gets impaled.
    Scary stuff no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted