1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was anyone else as appalled by this as I was?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"Appalling" is about six notches above the level I'd give it. It's a mistake, but it's not like Orrin Hatch is hiding.

I'd place it at "mildly annoying."

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I wonder why he didn't also suggest that incomes from major collegiate sports enterprises should be subject to usiness income taxes?

Also, why not consider any contribution to a university that winds up in the athletic department unworthy for a tax deduction?

Oh, I forgot ... he doesn't like to raise taxes.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Because Hatch is speaking up for those schools that have been fucked over by the NCAA, which let's the BCS run college football. Because I'm sure the NCAA officials, probably get some kind of kick back from the BCS.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wrong. Hatch is speaking up for his constituency -- the people in Utah who care about the Utes and BYU and might actually vote for him -- and almost certainly could not give the proverbial rat's ass about TCU or anyone associated with it.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To be fair, Hatch did make a small mention that people could criticize him for caring about the BCS and wrote that he hoped the NCAA would fix the system themselves.

Having said that, the other ironic thing that I found about the article (besides wanting to make the employees work unpaid overtime) was that Hatch, whose party constantly tells the public they want government off people's back (except for those bedroom issues), wants the government to regulate a business.

His final two sentences say it all: "One thing is clear. No changes will take place if Congress does nothing."

I'd like to see him take that attitude when it comes to health care.

6. highlander

highlander Member

I hope he doesn't national health care is a terrible idea. Rationing health care won't help anyone. Just give the government more power over people's lives and deaths.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used health care as an example of his hypocrisy.

The health care system as it stands now is an utter disaster. It needs changing, whether it's by the government or by private hands. Something's got to be done, before it collapses. (and I'm not smart enough to figure out the solution myself. If I was, I'd be a very rich man).

Yet (and I know I'm making this political), all you ever hear from Hatch and members of his party is 'Get the government out of Americans' lives (for business purposes, of course. According to that party, it's O.K. for government to get involved in bedroom issues. And yes, the Dems are generally the opposite).

And now, you have Hatch wanting government to get involved in private business. But only because it affects two schools from his state. He's not doing this out of any concern over the athletes or the fans. He's doing it to earn brownie points from his voters.

Heck, I hate the BCS, too. I'd like to see a playoff. And at the same time, I'd like for college sports and the NCAA to either go back to their basic amateur roots (like the Ivy League or Division III), or just admit that they're a business and let their workers make whatever money they want.

8. duckncover

duckncover Member

If this happens I'm holding you personally responsible. Neither of those schools belongs in the august company of the Pac 10.

9. highlander

highlander Member

You're right BYU only went 2 and 1 against the PAC 10 in football last year.

Don't forget the black day for the PAC 10 - August 13, 2009

MWC goes 4-0 vs. Pac 10

TEMPE, Ariz. — Malo Taumua blocked a field goal to lift UNLV to a 23-20 overtime upset of No. 15 Arizona State on Saturday night.

Taumua's block on a 35-yard field goal attempt by Thomas Weber came after Kyle Watson kicked a 20-yard field goal on the Rebels' overtime possession.

The loss took the luster off Arizona State's game against No. 2 Georgia next week.

For the Rebels, it will go down as one of the great victories in the school's sometimes checkered football history.

UNLV (2-1) tied it at 20 with 18 seconds left on Omar Clayton's 8-yard touchdown pass to Phillip Payne, who made a leaping one-handed grab.

The spectacular play capped a 10-play, 74-yard drive that lasted 2:45, with Clayton 6-of-8 passes for 70 yards.

For the Sun Devils (2-1), this was supposed to be a tuneup for next week's long-awaited game against No. 2 Georgia. But they let the Rebels hang around for too long.

Arizona State looked safe when Rudy Carpenter hit Kyle Williams for a 49-yard touchdown pass to put ASU ahead 20-10 early in the third quarter.

The Rebels served notice that they weren't going to be pushovers late in the second quarter. Carpenter threw an interception to UNLV defensive back Beau Orth, who returned it 9 yards to Arizona State 7.
    Story continues below

Three plays later, Clayton threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Payne, who outleaped cornerback Omar Bolden in the end zone with 33 seconds to play.

The Sun Devils responded with a quick four-play, 33-yard drive capped by Weber's 49-yard field goal as time expired in the first half, giving ASU a 13-10 halftime lead. The Rebels tied it at 3-3 on a 44-yard field goal by Watson midway through the second quarter.

Clayton completed 19-of-31 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns for UNLV, which plays host to Iowa State next week. Carpenter finished 13-of-23 for 242 yards and two touchdowns, and he was intercepted once.

TCU 31, STANFORD 14: At Fort Worth, Texas, Ryan Christian scored the go-ahead touchdown and Steven Coleman made a key interception to help TCU beat Stanford in a game moved up six hours because of Hurricane Ike.

NEW MEXICO 36, ARIZONA 28: At Albuquerque, N.M., Rodney Ferguson ran for 158 yards and two TDs and freshman James Aho tied a school record with five field goals to help New Mexico beat Arizona.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The Pac-10, other than USC, sucks. That is all.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Glad someone else knows that. Although, I was pleased to see Oregon beat Oklahoma State in the Holiday Bowl last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted