1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was anyone else as appalled by this as I was?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Got my SI today, and read the front-of-the-book essay by Orrin Hatch. He talks about how the time and situation is right for Congress to address the BCS. He talks about how it violates the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. He talks about how Utah and BYU (among others) got jobbed last year.
    Nowhere in the story does it mention that Hatch is a U.S. Senator from Utah.
    This seems like a rookie mistake to me ... or am I just making a mountain over a molehill?
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too, while reading it. They should have mentioned his Utah connection. He obviously has a big stake in the schools receiving more money from the BCS.

And reading his essay, I found it somewhat ironic that he said that college football and the BCS was big business. Yet, he is advocating more work for the students to earn their scholarships (i.e. more games in a playoff) and didn't mention anything about the workers receiving any extra pay for their overtime.
  3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It certainly identifies him as a senator, both in the byline and at the end of the column. No idea why it doesn't identify the state he represents.
  4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Also has Senate lowercase in the ID. I guess they assume everyone who knows where Hatch is from, and you know what they say about assuming.
  5. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

It seems done with a purpose if they include everything but the state he represents. And to answer the question, yes, it is appalling.
  6. highlander

highlander Member

What is appalling is that some schools have no success in football and still share in the BCS gravy train while good football teams in the Mountain West get the left over scraps and crumbs.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What's even more appalling is that anyone thinks the federal government should be involved in how college football determines a national champion.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For God's sake, it's Orrin Hatch. They're not trying to hide where he's from. He's one of the most prominent members of the senate.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

That's not the point PC, nor it is what the others are saying. It's chapter and verse that in journalism that when a politician is mentioned, you identify him, his position, his party, his state. Period. It's not appalling because SI is trying to 'hide' anything. It is appalling they overlooked something that should never be overlooked. I'm willing to bet there are a number of SI readers who have no idea who the hell Hatch is because he doesn't, you know, throw a ball.
  10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I agree. SI should have gone the full monty and given Hatch the full monty as far as identifying him. Lazy journalism at best; trying to sneak a spitter past us at worst.

With two wars to fight, an economy in the tank, and a Supreme Court nominee to examine, there's NO time for the Senate to look at the BCS mess. Period. Out of the toy box, guys.
  11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

End thread. (Or maybe start of a new one.)
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not really appalling, but definitely perplexing, that people think that what the college system does can be legitimately called a national championship.
Draft saved Draft deleted