1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Zevon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 24, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody's posted this one yet.. guaranteed to bring a tear to your eye:

Then there's Zevon covering his version of an unreleased Springsteen song:

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I posted this on the last Zevon thread but it's definitely worth a look for those who haven't read it.

Paul Nelson's epic look at Zevon from Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5935191/warren_zevons_resurrection/1

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

E Street, Thanks for these. If that first one doesn't get everyone to resolve to live it every day! ... As Bruce says in Happy, born in this world darlin' with few days and trouble's never far behind. Never let anything go unsaid or undone.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The self-titled 1976 album doesn't have a clunker in it -- starts out with "Frank and Jesse James," ends with "Desperadoes" and never wanes in between.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, I went home with the waitress
    The way I always do

6. Can't say "Carmelita" does much for me, but his "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" makes me want to spit at the mention of Linda Ronstadt's name.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You have to admit, pawning a Smith-Corona to score your heroin fix is a nice, writerly touch.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

How was I to know she was with the Russians too?

Two of the greatest opening lines ever.

9. digger

digger New Member

Werewolves of London (and Roland) were in the jukebox in the sub shop my friends and I hung out in back in the 70s. We played pinball and listened to Roland (our other top songs in the juke box were by America - Sister Goldenhair? I still wait for the needle skip for the scratch on that song whenever I hear it).

I've seen Zevon maybe 6 or 8 times since the late 70s, mostly at places like the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. Always a great show. He's my second favorite behind Bruce.

10. digger

digger New Member

Another of my favorites

Mr. Bad Example is another great, fun song, like much of his stuff. He had a sense of humor, but also could get really deep.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank all of you for putting me on to just how good Warren really was and still is today. I only knew a scant few of his songs and I liked them, but the ones I'm hearing for the first time are just beckoning me to go out and buy his CDs. It's also making me curse myself for just now finding out how good his music really is.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The most unique rock singing voice I have ever heard.

And, so, so different than his speaking voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted