1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Zevon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 24, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think I posted this before, but I saw Zevon on what turned out to be his last tour. He was coughing and complaining he must have picked something up when he was in Canada. It was, sadly, no cold.

Love "Desperadoes Under the Eaves" and sometimes I get "The French Inhaler" stuck in my head for days at a time.

I was introduced to Zevon's music by a completely pretentious asshole on my freshman floor. I'm so thankful he did.

I recommend "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," the book his ex-wife, Crystal wrote. The guy was a genius, but was complicated, and often an asshole.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is there any video of Dave reacting to Zevon's death?

I couldn't find it, but I am dilettante level.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or at least Patty Hearst would've.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Saw Warren in a small venue downtown Dallas in early 90s.
    Place was packed to the gills.
    Nobody wanted to hurry home early that night.
    Great show, great talent.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have eaten at Lee Hoo Fook's in London...

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A lifetime regret. Not seeing him live.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

This thread has taken me on a Zevon jag on YouTube. I'm torn between Excitable Boy and Lawyers, Guns and Money as my faves but I enjoyed the suggestions and the Tube links on this thread!

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner is my favorite. I'll get on a kick and listen to that over and over.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Saw a one-man show lo these many years ago in Savannah, at the late, lamented Congress Street Station. Tee-damn-riffic.
    So much great stuff — Play It All Night Long, Mohammed's Radio, The Envoy ... and Detox Mansion and Sentimental Hygiene. Just to name a few.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

These are the kinds of people that often interest me most.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That song was the B side to the "Werewolves of London" 45, BTW. I wore the needle to a nub on my first record player on the B side.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Yours wasn't a d_b, but this is going to be.. so you can see the performance of the song and not just the pictures someone posted to go with the song:

Draft saved Draft deleted