1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Zevon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 24, 2009.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

OK, don't agree Bruce is overrated but Zevon is great. I went to see him when I lived in Cinti at a relatively small club. Walked in and who do I see at the concert but my new boss and his wife. Knew that was going to be a very good working relationship, as it turned out to be.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will always have a soft spot for the Hindu Love Gods album he made with the guys in REM. Their version of "Raspberry Beret" is one of the great covers ever.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And of course, the two were/are terrific mutual admirers.

No time to check if this is a d_b link, but here goes anyway:

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That song won a Grammy, and in it you can hear Bruce laughing and saying something to the effect of "You're gonna have to take this one," for a verse that includes "lhasa apso." Only Zevon could work that into a song.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just going with the obvious.

[​IMG]

6. lono

lono Active Member

I was a college senior when "Excitable Boy" came out.

Still have fond memories of taking one woman out to dinner, going back to her apartment, listening to "Excitable Boy" six times in a row and ending the night by taking her roommate to breakfast.

There was a lot to be said for mad love, shadow love, random love and abandoned love.

Still is, come to think of it.

And if there was any justice, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner would have single-handedly attacked and destroyed Haliburton ...

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

true dat.

8. A Zevon thread -- Thanks, Chris -- that doesn't mention the masterpiece that is "Desperadoes Under The Eaves" is unworthy of this board.

Look away...down Gower Avenue.
    Look away...

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Brains over brawn, that might work for you.
    But what's a Canadian farmboy to do?

Lyrics... not by Zevon.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pete Yorn does a good job with that one on Nightcrawler.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think I said this on the last Zevon thread, but his cover of "Back in the High Life Again" off Life'll Kill Ya is haunting.

12. The song that's a punch in the guts for me now - knowing Zevon's situation when he sang the song is My Shits Fucked Up

Draft saved Draft deleted