1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Zevon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 24, 2009.

1. Today would have been Warren Zevon's 62nd birthday. He's truly one of the most under-rated talents of the past 50 years.

Interestingly enough - his dad had connections to mobster Mickey Cohen (think LA Confidential) and once won a Corvette in a poker game. His dad gave Warren that Corvette and Warren used it to drive to New York City to start his music career. I wonder what Warren's story would have been like if his dad wasn't so good at poker?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Zevon's last Letterman appearance:
    Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Enjoy every sandwich, y'all.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Warren's in heaven today.

And his hair is perfect!

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of my favorites, just purchased his greatest hits CD. The only good song missing is Boom Boon Mancini.

Saw him about 15 years ago, on a tour with Sheila E. playing percussion for him. Outstanding show.

I always listen when Warren strikes up the band.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I always hater Werewolves of London and so never really gave Warren a chance.

But then I heard his last album. I think it's a masterpiece and it's one of my favorite cds.

What else of his should I be listening to?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If there's a better song than "Splendid Isolation," I'm still waiting to hear it.

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Flame away, but Warren Zevon is as underrated as Bruce Springsteen is overrated, especially over the last 15 or 20 years.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree Calvin. For my money, one of the greatest songwriters of his era. A rock star with a heavy heart.

"I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," written by his first wife, is a great read.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stand In The Fire is one of the best live albums ever made.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

His last album is astonishingly good. Keep Me in Your Hear For a While can bring a tear to my eye.

Draft saved Draft deleted