1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Jeffs, polygamist leader, guilty of sex assault on a child

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Aug 4, 2011.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Texas jury deliberated for barely three hours after Jeffs, acting as his own attorney, used almost all of his allotted time for closing arguments by staring at the floor. Once he mumbled, "I am peace." Only other sound in the courtroom was coughing and the creaking of wooden benches. Odd trial of a vile man.

I do hope they'll soon prosecute the women who aided and abetted Jeffs (and others in the sect) by helping procure young girls to be raped.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/04/warren-jeffs-polygamist-leader-convicted_n_918915.html?ncid=webmail1

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mr. Jeffs should have a fun time in the Gray Bar Hotel. He'll learn the true meaning of "comfort bride."

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Many of those women will themselves have been victims, though. Not saying that necessarily excuses their behavior, but we've seen copious evidence that Jeffs and others like him wield considerable control over people.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jeffs' "church" is based in a pair of remote hamlets that straddle the Arizona-Utah border, Colorado City and Hildale. No radio, TV or other media, and the church is about all they know. Church leaders would regularly preach on the evils of the world outside those towns, but as soon as some of the teen boys were competing with the elders for the young girls, the boys were thrust out into that evil world, often on their own.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope they kill him in prison.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

CNN is reporting that Warren Jeffs is in a coma. Unfortunately, it's not because other inmates beat the shit out of him.

"Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs was in critical condition in a Texas hospital Monday after falling ill during a fast, a state prison official and his attorney said."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/29/texas.jeffs.hospitalized/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I know I should feel bad that I share your sentiment ... but I don't (feel bad, that is).

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No, you really shouldn't. People like this are the devil himself as far as I'm concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted