1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Jeffs gets life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I always think it's odd when LDS members act like FLDS is nothing like them, and declare they are not Mormons at all.

But, then get offended when some Christian Churches do not consider LDS to be Christian.

How do you square that?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Your point or more useless drivel?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You talk about branding enough, so I'd think you'd know. Mormon is the "brand" for the LDS Church. Christian is a not a "brand" in that sense. While the LDS Church and others claim to be the "true" Christian church, Christian itself is not a brand.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Are you serious? That's quite disturbing when you think about it. I really do not understand how adults with any semblance of intelligence at all can look at a 40-plus man with a 12 year old and think it is anything but disgusting.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The two I knew were older and left their husbands to join fundamentalist groups in Utah (not FLDS). One was my roommate's mom. My roommate, along with his dad and older brother, went up to Utah to take back the younger kids after she took them.

I worked with a guy whose dad, a member of a small fundamentalist group, (they weren't in contact anymore) was on the run in Mexico for kidnapping.

When I was in my early 20s, LDS Church leaders warned women to be careful at church dances because polygamous guys would come down to look for wives. They were successful at drawing several to their groups.

6. YankeeFan

So, they're similar, but it's like a case of copyright infringement?

Is their logo too similar to yours.

Sorry, but I don't think your comparison works.

If you want to say the LDS Church owns the "Mormon" brand fine, but then what is the generic term?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The LDS Church wants to own the brand. It's funny because the LDS Church tried to move away from using Mormon in the '80s and '90s. I don't think it will be successful dissuading the use of the term "fundamentalist Mormon" outside of Utah.

A sidenote is the RLDS aren't considered Mormon and that church changed its name to Community of Christ several years ago.

8. YankeeFan

Which ones are RLDS? Is that the group back in Missouri?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

How many times were they killed? :D

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That cracked me up. And I used to be an editor...

11. YankeeFan

That was pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted