1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Buffett says papers “are toast”

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We used to have a parenting blog. Several reporters and editors in the newsroom contributed. Now we don't have enough reporters to give them time to write a parenting blog and cover their other beats.

Baron Scicluna and I Should Coco like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm in a job where I try to pitch op-eds and it's maddening as heck with much of the above. I'm offering free commentary from smart people like university chancellors talking about our community and it's like I'm speaking Swahili.

crimsonace likes this.
  3. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Our letters to the sports editor are mostly crap. Probably doesn't help that there are significantly less people writing in. Half of the submissions are from the same people week after week, and it got to the point where they'd get in the paper so often that many letters to the editor ended up being "Why the hell do you keep running letters from the same idiots" complaints. Those letters never got printed.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same here, though mine was with the Washington Post in 1992. Hated the weekend, because I had to make a run at around 5 p.m. on Saturday and then come back and do it all again at 1 a.m. And the Sunday-only subscribers bloated the hell out of that route.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Papers indeed are "toast," but baby boomers sure love 'em. Watch a boomer in a coffee shop; they love their fishwraps.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Me too, Cosmo. I helped my brother deliver The Post from ‘90-92.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There might be some small local internet sites funded as nonprofits. Not sure how that works. Blame for this can be shared by many. No doubt the suits started the mess by so many ill advised decisions when newspaper Websites first arrived on the scene and the news was given away for free while it still cost top dollar for print subscriptions. Disinterest in trying to devise ways to partner with advertisers and save the print product for the boomer$$$$ also contributed to the avalanche.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I was going to write something snarky about how the Times metro section has done its best to kill interest in local news for years. But it's quite readable today, with cops running brothels, sharks off Long Island, etc. etc.

So, Dean Baquet = jerk.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think you are trying to shoot the messenger.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Never get between a man and his snark (no matter how unfunny/unclever.)

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I leaped from the deck of the Titanic in 2012. Our circulation was 18,000. A little birdie told me the most recent press runs have been 8,900.
    I know they haven't converted subscribers to online because they won't sell a digital-only subscription. They'll sell you a package and not deliver the print edition if you don't want it, but they want credit for the circulation numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted