1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warren Buffett on Newspapers: The Ship Be Sinkin'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Oct 10, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

St. Petersburg.
    Tupelo.
    New London.

Manchester, N.H., may be in a trust's hands (I don't know what happened to the paper after Nackey Loeb died, and whether it was left to a trust or her kids).

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Norwalk, Conn.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Champaign, Ill., also, if I remember correctly.

If Warren Buffett is talking about how to invest or how to run a business, I'm damn sure listening.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that his major investments in newspapers go against conventional wisdom. You have The Washington Post, where the shareholders have minimal power as the Graham family controls the voting stock. And you have the Buffalo News, which is in a shrinking rust-belt city and yet has been one of the more profitable metros under his ownership.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Because Warren Buffett is -- aside from being the greatest investor of the last 60 years -- someone with the sense to hire good, capable managers and leave them the hell alone to do their job.

I heard a story on CNBC radio (on the XM) a couple weeks ago driving to the desert. It was a feature on Buffett that focused on not only his persona, but his interaction with his various managers in his various businesses. To a person, they said all he does is meet with them once a year and check in with them periodically. If they have any questions, issues or matters that need addressing, they can contact him and address them as they see fit.

I just wish I could afford some Berkshire stock, if for no other reason than to get the invite to hear him during the annual meeting in Omaha.

Draft saved Draft deleted