1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warning for GM owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 8, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've been having some problems with my old Cavalier, and I finally took the time to search the web. I discovered that the antifreeze GM used in its cars from 1995 to 2000 or so is causing serious problems. There was a national class action suit, but it was rejected in February, with the judge citing the complexity of a national suit that would get tangled in the multiple state laws.

In any case, this is a warning to you. If you have a GM car made during these years, you might check to see if it had Dex-Cool in the radiator. This stuff was supposed to last for something like 150,000 miles or five years. The problem is that it's eating away at all of the car's parts, leaving a sludge behind. Once you have the problem, it becomes fairly expensive. And a lot of people are just now learning this, as the problem doesn't really develop until the coolant has been in the car for several years.

I'm taking my car to a mechanic on Saturday, but I already know what he's going to tell me, which is that I have gasket and manifold problems, and possibly thermostat, radiator and water pump issues as well. Some people have spent upward of $2,000 on the problem. The best you can do if you own a GM that came new with Dex-Cool is to flush the shit out of the system, over and over, then add regular green antifreeze and hope for the best. The alternative, which I would suggest, is to sell the car and let somebody else deal with the problem when it develops.

And don't think this is an isolated thing. From what I've read, there are hundreds of thousands who have faced the problem. If you don't believe me, go here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_dexcool.html

And to think that the fuckers won't recall the cars...

What a bunch of BS.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm glad I drive a Cobalt.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Our 2004 Cavalier is a piece of shit, so is their customer service.

Here's what happened:
    Better half here's weird noises in front end. I IMMEDIATELY call to book an appoint (that was on a Thursday). The earliest they have is Monday. We bring it in. About $600 work to be done on the struts. Our warranty expired THE SUNDAY and they would NOT honour it on the Monday.

Now, the trunk leaks. Water settling into the spare tire hole beneath the trunk floor.

Also, radio and interior light decide to go and off at any given time.

And the Big Three wonder why we North Americans are turning to foreign cars.

In all honesty, I'm more pissed about not honouring the warranty.

I'll NEVER by a car made by the Big Three again.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Complain to the regional manager NOW... explain the situation and if they don't bite, go keep going up the food chain. Gently tell thatm that the dealership refused to let you come in and -- wow, what a coincidence -- it was after the warranty expired...

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

You know Slappy, I should.

But in the past year I've battled with West Jet (and won in the fact I got back my $962 in tickets they refused to refund for TWO YEARS); Rogers (and won in the fact I got reimbursed the $100 connection fee for the home phone and they gave me one month free unlimited North American long distance); and Bell (and won, getting three free movies, four months free satellite TV and discounted long distance for four months).

Seriously, I'm tired of dealing with these huge corporations. They are all the same, it's like pulling teeth to get anything from them. I fear GM would be the hardest to deal with as it's the biggest and richest.

But, we'll see. I know these companies can beat.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Let me second Slappy's suggestion. I'm sure things have changed somewhat since I worked for a GM car dealer back in the dark ages, but the dealer should have honored the warranty.

Get the regional manager involved.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was having problems a few years ago. Coolant lines kept springing leaks and finally, my radiator was shot. Replaced the parts and had new coolant put in. No problems since.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I had a very expensive Hyundai A/C repair covered by the manufacturer 2,000 miles after the warranty expired on a '96 Elantra Wagon. I didn't even ask for it. The district manager called me and said, "Mr. Kleeda, we're covering this because it simply should not have happened and clearly was a manufacturing defect. It's on us, and I apologize for the inconvenience."

A similar problem with a 99 Grand Prix STILL UNDER warranty and they tried very hard not to cover it. Said it was excessive wear and tear. I was like, "It's an A/C unit, I turn it on and off. I live in Texas. Other than that, where's the excessive use?"

I try not to even RENT a GM car.

9. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

I once drove a Chevy pickup that began having problems, so I took it to the dealership to be checked.

The guy says, "Good thing you came in. This part is prone to catching on fire. They're asking dealers to replace it for free, unless it catches on fire."

I was incredulous. Because I got there before it fried, I would get a free part and no labor charge. But if it burned, then I was SOL?

"Yep. Not enough of them have caught on fire yet for them to issue a recall, but enough have for them to know it's a problem."

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Back when I had my old '95 Jimmy, it was getting up there in age and I was still paranoid about it nickel and diming me (as had happened with my even older Dakota, which pushed me pretty far into debt). Driving along I-95 one day, suddenly the gas pedal stopped working and I started smelling gas. Pulled over as quick as I could and shut everything off. Got it towed to the dealer, which was nearby.

Some sort of coupling on the gas line had failed, a $36 part. Yet somehow it took an all-day repair, after which they handed me a $600 bill. So, needless to say, when it was time to upgrade, we bought a Ford from a different dealer.

And my wife would urge all of you disgruntled GM owners in the Northwest to visit her family's Ford dealership in Bend, Ore. :)

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

With the exchange rate where it is (and having a customs agent as a good friend in Vancouver!) I'd certainly make the trip down to buy my next car!

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yeah, I had a 2003 Cavalier and had very similar problems to FootballBat from the get-go. Last year, I got a Cobalt though, and it seems they've improved the cars a lot over that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted