1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warned by NFL for using "exhibition"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 10, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

Okay, I'm not in an NFL market, so it doesn't come up much, and no I haven't been warned off or anything. But when we do have anything about the preseason, our paper refers to those as "exhibition games"

Anyone ever received a slap on the wrist by someone at the NFL for not using their official terminology for these glorified August scrimmages?

Guess, I was wondering if the NFL ever threatened to revoke credentials over something so silly.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Try using "Overpriced Practice Session"
  3. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Just wait until December when you call the conference semifinals, you know, "the conference semifinals," instead of the incredibly amorphous "divisional playoffs"
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fuck the Shield. They don't run the world. They're exhibitions, and that's giving them too much credit.
  5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We've called them exhibitions for as long as I can remember and never heard a word from them.
  6. jlee

jlee Active Member

It would be a smart move by the NFL to police this kind of language. If it doesn't, the public might one day begin to question how 20-somethings who are smacking the crap out of each other for the amusement of the masses only to spend their golden years with brain trauma and little medical benefits are referred to as "warriors."

And yes, I watch. I'm a hypocrite. My seat in Hell is section 203, aisle F, No. 15.
  7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's tough not to feel bad for the players, who are clearly forced with a gun to their heads to play pro football.
  8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You want to see an example of the NFL's power getting to its head? Listen to commercials or read grocery circulars in January.

Stock up for "The Big Game!" Yeah, because you won't let anyone use the term Super Bowl.

Still, I'm glad the NFL came back. Far too many jobs were at stake other than players.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The weakest argument anybody can ever use when it comes to pro sports.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can tell you've never played the game ... or had a gun to your head.
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

When the NFL buys stock in newspapers, they can tell us what to call their exhibition games. Until then, fuck off.
  12. jlee

jlee Active Member

Oh, the players are just as bad. Just not the point of conversation at the moment.
Draft saved Draft deleted