1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War Vet, intern, keeps shooting [photographs] after being hit by javelin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, May 19, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The photog brought it up, so I think it's fair game to make light of it.

Part of the comments on the Deseret News story:

A few points from someone who was there (I have several photos taken with a cell phone camera).

1. The photographer had been warned more than once about javelins coming from that end of the field. He was trying to get into position to take photos of the discus competition when he was struck.

2. The officials marked the throw (why should the athlete be penalized for what the photographer did?). We saw where the photographer was standing when he was struck and estimated how much further the javelin would have traveled had it not struck him. The throw was marked from that point.

3. As noted in the article and comments, the wound was pretty superficial - no blood and the photographer was back at his job before the end of the day. He received 13 stitches. We are all glad that he is ok. By the way, I spoke with him after he returned and he seems like a pretty nice guy.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

jake mauer, joe's older brother who won a few division III national championships once hit me on the head with a baseball during practice. it hurt. i wasn't standing in the field of play.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The AP story that moved tonight on that has a quote I didn't see in that version of the story:

“One of the first things that came to my mind was, ‘Good thing we brought a second javelin,’” Miles’ coach, Richard Vance, said Monday. He said Miles was “in a little bit of shock,” but he assured the athlete it was not his fault.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That quote was easily the best part of the story for me.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK. . . let me try to get a better sh- -

AAAAGRRRRRRHHHHHHGGHHHHH!! OW! FUCK! SHIT!!! AARRGGHHHH! (click!) (Click!) Award winner, baby! OW! Jeez . . Ow, help a guy (click) out here, huh?(click).

What a trooper.

6. I believe it is trouper.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So no credit for the play on words, since he was an actual soldier?

Eh.

Troeper it is.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, what's the point of the story?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I understand your question. And it's myopic.

Draft saved Draft deleted