1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War Vet, intern, keeps shooting [photographs] after being hit by javelin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, May 19, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

http://www.standard.net/live/news/133306

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Idiot. Tried to take a shortcut and took one for the team. I wonder how he survived in Afghanistan.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I like that he took the photo. I'm glad my state doesn't have javelin for this reason.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He's actually lucky he only got hit by a javelin. If he crossed the sector line shooting disc it means he was inside the zone for disc.

That's dumber than standing in the open field at a driving range.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No one around my area could throw the javelin hard enough for it to stick in the ground, let alone a person's leg.

6. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Was talking with some coaches by the track at an invitational the other day and got a discus on the ankle. I was 100 feet from the cage and a girl threw it sideways, popped it up over the cage and it skidded across the grass right at my feet. One of the coaches I was chatting with told me she must not have liked something I wrote.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I used to throw the discus and shot put in high school. Like Moonite, I've taken it on the ankle. It doesn't feel pleasant, but it's not too horrible. Now, a javelin in the knee? Yeah, I am going to want a band-aid.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Pardon me,
    The guy served the country and there really isn't call for you to question his service -- glib or not.
    He was pretty self-deprecating about the whole situation. He knew his mistake, he paid for it.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

I really didn't need to see that photo of the javelin in his knee.

10. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

There is snarky, and there is stupid. That post wasn't snarky.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I went to a hammer throwing clinic one time. It was almost hilarious watching these guys. They start out swinging the hammer around, but by the time they're done, the hammer is actually swinging them around. Then they let go and they have no idea which way it's going.
    How erratic is hammer throwing? For the USC-UCLA dual meet, the hold the hammer throw at West Los Angeles College.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Back in high school some goofy uncoordinated kid spun and threw the disc backwards. It went over the cage, through the window and through the biology teacher's fish tank. Nobody knew the tank was hit until the next morning. We are just lucky the disc didn't break the snake tank. That would have been a creepy morning in bio class.

Draft saved Draft deleted