1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War costs $12 billion a month

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Mar 10, 2008.

1. By CHARLES J. HANLEY, AP Special Correspondent

The flow of blood may be ebbing, but the flood of money into the Iraq war is steadily rising, new analyses show. In 2008, its sixth year, the war will cost approximately $12 billion a month, triple the "burn" rate of its earliest years, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and co-author Linda J. Bilmes report in a new book.

Beyond 2008, working with "best-case" and "realistic-moderate" scenarios, they project the Iraq and Afghan wars, including long-term U.S. military occupations of those countries, will cost the U.S. budget between $1.7 trillion and $2.7 trillion — or more — by 2017.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_war_costs

At least we're not wasting money trying to find Bin Laden or fix our economy back home.

2. It's the oil, stupid.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought the mission was already accomplished?

And by the way, how are we paying for this?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

By the oil we were going to steal — I mean produce – in the Iraqi oil fields.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is the article referenced.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030702846.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We're doing less with more!

7. Not that it matters, but the article referenced was the AP link in my original post.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do you hate America, DemoChristian?

9. It's not that I hate America, it's just that I love terrorists and I think it's a shame what we did to Sadaam. And it's really tragic that "democracy is on the march." At least those thousands of people haven't died in vain.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah I figured.

Go back to Russia!

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I threw up a link to an article written by the two mentioned in your article. It's all connected though.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

Move along... nothing to see here...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted