1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WAR and Cooperstown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, May 1, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Being well-liked by the writers never hurts. It also depends on who else is on that ballot that year. It shouldn't matter, but it does...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Carlton Fisk having to wait until the second ballot was ridiculous. He should have been a 95% inductee. What did he do wrong?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Completely agree. He should have soared in with Ryan, Brett and Yount... I think it was actually relatively close his second year. How does that happen?

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Only thing I can think of is that he may have been seen as a compiler? That is not me saying that, but if you are uneducated about baseball and look at his numbers compared to Bench and Berra, he can be seen as wanting. Never had the monster MVP seasons like them. Was not a great defender (but was good). He lasted a long time, which I can see a late 1990s baseball writer going "Fisk? He was good, but he was no Bench. If he hadn't played forever, his numbers wouldn't look so hot."

Draft saved Draft deleted