1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPost family feud over Tony K.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Correct, this "hanging-around" is all about ego.
    Most of this TV people in good jobs have HUGE egos. You only need to hang around some of them in a pre-game pressbox meal setting, or sit behind or beside them on press row. They exude egomanical vibes.
    Some are cool and grounded, most are "me-people" and useless.

2. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Yes, Blitz, there are no huge egos in print.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Newspapers make two big mistakes with columnists. They think the columnist automatically will have a following because we put him/her in that spot, and they think they will maintain that following even if the work declines.

Prominent play does not guarantee a following. At two previous stops I saw readership surveys in which a majority could not identify one of the sports columnists. Both had long tenures, and one was a lead columnist who I thought was pretty good most of the time, except he most often wrote about only one sport.

And readers are not necessarily loyal. There were a few columnists I liked for years and then I stopped reading them when I thought they lost it.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Even before TK got MNF, he was ripping Jaffee, so I would take what Jaffee writes with the proverbial grain of salt.
    Some bad blood between those 2.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Those are really interesting points, Frank, and when I stop and think about it -- what you said totally jibes with my habits as a reader.

Draft saved Draft deleted