1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo outs woman who it says faked Roy Moore story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jlee, Nov 27, 2017.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Fucking capitalism!

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The horror!

BigRed likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why didn't O'Keefe wise up after he pleaded guilty to wiretapping Sen. Landreiu, realize what he was doing was wrong and find another line of work. That's what I would have done.

It's almost as if he didn't learn anything from that.

They should have given him jail time.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Why didn't he? Come on, man. You know this is all about money.

These guys don't believe what they're doing is wrong, or they don't care because the money is too good.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

All the more reason they should have made an example of him and thrown him in jail.

Tweener likes this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I'm surprised how many unsophisticated amateurish news operations on the right are funded by well-heeled donors. I get it, just because you are a billionaire like a Koch or a Mercer doesn't mean you can't be a conspiracy nut as well. But it doesn't (or wouldn't) take much to establish a news site that doesn't troll, hype nationalism, and actually gets stories that make those to the left look bad correct and have real impact.
    Instead these pooh-throwing sites continue to only enforce the validity and need for professional journalism.

Tweener, FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Allow me to offer a plug for the Washington Post. Yesterday when I called up the story on-line the Post was offering subscriptions for $3.99 a month. I subscribe to the Post and the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. While I don't think the Post's national efforts are as comprehensive as the New York Times the monthly subscription to the latter is about $20 a month. The Post also has a sports section that I find more interesting than the Times because they try to cover the major sports rather than devote their efforts to space to sports like tennis and soccer. For four bucks a month I am unaware of any outlet, conservative or liberal, that offers as much as the Post.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the best deal of the big papers. Because Alice's main interest is the arts, we get the Times too, because they can't be beat for that. We get the Journal because I like reading business stories.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a problem with a psuedo-journalist like O'Keefe trying to dupe the Washington Post. I also applaud the Washington Post for doing its due diligence and then blowing him up and making him looking like a fool. Marty Baron is a throwback and has put together something really good and really valuable there in the current age of half truths and outright BS we are stuck living with.

The sooner the whole "fake news" thing dies a horrible death, the better, as far as I am concerned. What the Russians were doing on Facebook was fake news, OK. Then (predictably in hindsight) the term got hijacked to simply mean "any story I don't like." Good news organizations, like the WaPo, try to corroborate info independently. They aren't mistake proof. ... but nobody is. Woodward and Bernstein committed near critical mistakes in their reporting on Watergate. People like O'Keefe want to muddy the waters, in order to try to do a wholesale job of discrediting the people speaking truth to power. Fine. That means that the reporters at the Post, Times, etc. need to be more vigilant and stay focused on trying to get things right. That isn't a bad thing.

Smallpotatoes and Doc Holliday like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, when Hamilton edited Washington's farewell address, he deleted a section in which Washington denounced fake news and newspapers in general.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The Post also has a comics section, unlike the NYT.

Draft saved Draft deleted