1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo News and Nats Opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hot and Rickety, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to think if a Washington Post job has ever been posted... They usually just pick out the writer they want and then bring him in... I know when they made all those college hires a few years back (Svrluga, Prisbell and Schlabach) those jobs were never posted. The story I heard was that Emilio found three he liked while interviewing for the job that Barry got and then created positions for Prisbell and Schlabach...

2. accguy

accguy Member

Emilio is on top of things and is really sharp. I talked with him for a job at one point many years ago. I asked him if he need me to send clips. He said, "No, I've been stalking you on the Internet for a while. I'm good."

I acknowledge that I'm a bit biased as Barry is a friend, but whoever does this job will have big shoes to fill. Dude is really, really talented. Can do things with words that many people can't imagine.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He transitioned from being one of the best college hoops guys to one of the better baseball writers incredibly well... He'll do great on the Skins beat...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Obviously, this is a great opportunity to get an up-close look at how Teddy Roosevelt fails to win the President's Race 81 times a year.

For that reason alone, I'm applying.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Unless it's a downhill race, Roosevelt isn't going to win.

Oops, wrong Roosevelt.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ditto on Barry. He's a friend, a hell of a good guy. But I'm secure, too, in saying he's among the best there is in the business. Well, YOUR business! I've been his fanboy stalker for three years now, I'll have to break in somebody new.
    Word of warning: You better not suck. I have e-mail.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think finishing the season 73-89 qualifies as masochistic. Especially when the team was supposed to be historically bad. They finished 64-64 if I'm not mistaken after starting 9-25.

A great team they're not, but they're definitely no 2003 Detroit Tigers.

8. I cannot second this enough. Barry is obscenely talented. One of those writers I read every morning just because, and also to remind myself that I'll never be that good.

9. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

Congratulations, Marc. I know you'll do well.

10. Boxing Beat

Boxing Beat New Member

Does anyone know if the Nats position is filled?

11. Moderator1

No it is not

12. Moderator1

From the still-flowing Pipeline:

Dave Curtis, who covers the Florida Gators at the Orlando Sentinel, is a candidate. DC interviews Friday and Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted