1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo News and Nats Opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hot and Rickety, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

From an internal Post memo posted on fishbowldc:

We are delighted to announce that Barry Svrluga will be joining our Washington Redskins coverage team, which is expanding with an additional reporter. We have long wanted to increase the staffing on our most critical coverage area and better serve the large audiences we have established on our new platforms. With the beat coverage of Jason Reid and Jason LaCanfora and the columns of Mike Wise we think we already had a great reporting team at Redskins Park. Barry will make it that much better. His tireless work on the Washington Nationals since the team's arrival, featuring work on every platform imaginable, has created a new model for Post sports journalism.

Barry will make a gradual move to the Redskins. He'll first help us make a transition to a new Nationals writer and be part of our 2008 Olympics coverage team.

As Barry Svrluga makes the transition away from the Washington Nationals beat, we are looking for someone ready for the difficult task of replacing him. These will be huge shoes to fill. Barry was not only a strong reporter on the beat but he also was able to make all 162 games come to life, pushing beyond the traditional game story to create a unique 162-game narrative. Not easy when the team does not have a winning record. His replacement will be asked to do the job the same way. We're looking for an extraordinary writer and reporter to chronicle the Nationals as they move into their new ballpark.

And...

Marc Carig, who for the past 18 months has been a stalwart on our college reporting staff, is our new Orioles beat writer. Marc, who most recently covered the University of Maryland football and men's basketball teams, as well as the Washington Mystics, will be responsible for all aspects of the Orioles operation. He has always aspired to cover the sport and we are excited to give him this opportunity. Mark came through our internship program out of the University of Nevada-Reno.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, too bad he left for academia... i can think of one fanboi who would love this beat

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good for Barry... I'm sure covering the Redskins is a nightmare, but I'm constantly stunned how any married person is able to meet the demands of baseball travel...

4. JLawson

JLawson Member

Good for Marc. I worked with him in college. He's a good guy who hasn't forgotten where he came from.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Anyone know if they'll hire for the college job left by Carig's move?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Because then I couldn't be a fan.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Carig remains on the college beat for now. My completely uninformed guess is that he'll kind of handle both beats, since they won't overlap too much, and by August they're running wire copy on the O's anyway.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Barry did an incredible job with the Nats. He leaves some big shoes to fill.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I heard him talk, Carig was saying he would be switching to the Orioles beat around the time pitchers and catchers report for spring training. Then again, I didn't get involved in the conversation until late.

10. wow ... didn't figure you much for a masochist ...

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Since this was an internal memo, I am assuming there won't be any ads posted on the usual sites? But if they are looking for fresh blood, contact info?

Draft saved Draft deleted