1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo columnist: Consider his tattoos before giving Wall max deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 25, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and employers

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Customers are dumb.

Savvy!!

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

So someone should lose out on a job if they are qualified because they have a tattoo? Bullshit.

They don't mean someone has done time, or is a thug. I thought we were past these stupid antiquated notions. I know there has to be someone here who sees things the same way as me on this topic.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There was. He doesn't post here anymore.

5. Bodie_Broadus

I don't have any tattoos but I will defend the friends of mine who have them. They are good people, they are not what you people think of them.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Depends on the job, but if they have that many tattoos in visible spots they are by definition NOT qualified to interact with customers in most businesses. There is no objective standard of "being qualified." And if I'm trying to sell something and I can choose between someone who does and doesn't have all-over body art, that isn't a tough call.

There's no objective standard of who is "qualified." It all matters. Mostly, more than scaring me, a person with that many tattoos strikes me as a person who isn't serious about life.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bodie_Broadus

That's fucking ridiculous. You must be in your 60's or 70's, no one close to my age would feel that way. There are way too many people our age who have multiple tattoos.

If I get one, I am gonna get it on my forearm, mainly because I like that location. I wear long sleeves at work every day because I don't wanna expose my skin to UV rays. I wear sunscreen but it doesn't always work as well. MD's say to cover your skin as much as possible.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It happens all the time. I worked with a copy editor who showed up on her first day with a nose ring. The SE saw it, walked up to her and said, "Were you wearing that when I interviewed you?" When she said no, he said, "Then don't wear it to work..."

This was a well-known SE who isn't exactly known for being a hardass. I think we were all surprised by his response though...

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm 41.

And I would say 90 percent of employers take my side.

But to each their own.

11. Bodie_Broadus

I'm a huge fan of tattoos. I think the art behind some is amazing. I also think they look incredibly sexy on women.

Many of the guys I work with cover them, but it gets hot on the ramp, occasionally you wanna roll the sleeves up to cool off or wear short sleeves to work. This station isn't as bad as the one I left, they would send guys home for showing tattoos. They'd also send you home if you forgot to shave, which I guess is okay with you people.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

What did they do to employees without auto insurance?

Draft saved Draft deleted