1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo columnist: Consider his tattoos before giving Wall max deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 25, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guy I work with is covered in tattoos (at least on his arms, not sure the rest of his body) and is one of the best workers we've got.

If you threw out names to me I'd have no idea if the majority of them had tattoos. Lebron? Obvious. Birdman? Duh. D-Wade? No clue. Kobe? I think so. Kyrie Irving? Not sure. Kevin Love? No idea. Duncan/Parker/Ginobli? I'm going to say no to each, but it's a guess.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I work for one of the big tech companies and my boss has tattoos down both arms. He did it when he was in college and has regretted it ever since.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd personally never get a tattoo, but my general view is this: if you can't cover them with a long-sleeve shirt and/or long pants, you're making a mistake.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I talked my best friend and roommate in college out of getting barb wire across his biceps when we were in college. I walked with him to the shop and I kept telling him, "I know your girlfriend thinks it would be cool, but do you think you're going to want this when you're 40?"

We still laugh about it 20 years later.

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

On one hand, this column was a truly terrible, paper-thin, and illogical idea.

On the other hand, the execution was equally poor.

Que sera sera.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Post has some excellent reporters, Kilgore and Svrluga are especially good and I like Giannotto who covers Virginia Tech's beat and starting to do some more. Liz Clarke is very good but underutilized. But except for Boswell the columnists are pedestrian at best and the whole sports section is very weak now. 10 years ago it was one of the top 5 in the country, now it's sad.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Many of the guys that I work with have multiple tattoos. One of my favorite coworkers has full sleeves, leg ink, and some on his hands.

I was on a crew one day where I was the only one who didn't have one. The guys on that crew aren't thugs, they have jobs, didn't do time and are damn good workers.

The lack of acceptance for tattoos is fucking stupid. The manager I worked for in Seattle had full sleeves on both arms. But our employer makes us cover them for some reason.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So you don't scare the shit out of your customers and turn them into former customers?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Boswell is the only columnist I read regularly. He's fantastic. I only read the others when their columns go national or something like this one did. And rarely at that. Reid is taking a page out of Wise's book with this one.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

That's a fucking ridiculous statement. Anyone scared of someone with body art is just dumb. If they wanna find an airline to fly on where no one at all has any ink by all means go ahead. There isn't one, but you can sure as hell try.

God forbid you see a tattoo of someone's daughters picture on his forearm, or his tribute to his wife who was killed in a car accident, or his dad who died of cancer, loading your bags on a plane. He must be a fucking thug.

Morons.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bodie, there is an entire world out there of people who don't like shoulder-to-wrist body art and think it speaks poorly of the person wearing it. These are the people commonly referred to as "customers."

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or potential employers ...

Draft saved Draft deleted