1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanting to move....Advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chisox007, Jul 24, 2006.

1. chisox007

chisox007 New Member

At the current paper for six months, and I don't necessarily want to leave as much as I want to move back home and continue to work for them.

My reporting/editing position does not require me to be at the location at I'm currently at (my beat is national). Obviously, I can report and write from anywhere. And I can do lay-out when needed from anywhere as well.

What I'm curious about is how and when to bring it up to my bosses. Should I wait another six months? Do it during a lunch, etc? Should I even attempt to ask? They seem to like control, but I know they have enjoyed my work so far, and might be willing to let me do it.

Any advice would really help.

Thanks.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If your employers are the sort who love and demand face-time, forget it. Would you be the first to do this, or have others done this?

Also, I'm not sure six months in is the time to ask. Are you sure you've kicked ass so hard in that time that you can ask for a special favor? In most places six months gets you off probation. If this is your first job and you have homesickness, give yourself more time -- the feelings might fade as you get more settled in your job and wherever you live.

Bottom line: make sure you've established yourself as a go-to guy (or gal) before broaching this with your bosses.

3. chisox007

chisox007 New Member

Damien,
    Thanks for the response. I know that someone did report away from the office for around 4 1/2 years (I believe that was the length).
    This is not my first gig, and so far I have been getting the best assignments, etc in the short time I have been here. I also think they love the face time, BUT my bosses have also had some poor turn over rates the last few years. They definitely want more stability with the staff.
    I'm leaning towards maybe saying something around Christmas time (which would be 10 months for me) and give them a heads up that I would like to move back home in Feb.

Draft saved Draft deleted