1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanting to get Press Releases from Pro Sports Teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Digital Sports Daily, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah we were very sheltered for a long time. Being caught as a hockey fan in these parts was at one time grounds for dismemberment. I think I would love it, but I don't have any emotional ties to the sport.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I always thought it was the Toronto Make Beliefs ... My world is shattered.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is going much better than I thought it would, I have to admit.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Travis,

I recommend journalism school, if you want to learn about journalism.

If you want to regurgitate press releases, I recommend a personal blog.

Kind regards,
    Cadet

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Travis,

You have to have a unique product if you want people to keep going back to you. Otherwise you're not a journalist, but just someone who know how to copy and paste. Best way to learn is to go to school, take a journalism class or two, and freelance for a local paper.

6. What is I don't want to go to Journalism school? Not trying to get the J school debate started but I personally wouldn't invest in Journalism school. Give me some tips on how to do 'net journalism.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, pass the butter.

No such thing as 'net journalism. Where are you getting your sports news? If you answer ESPN.com, your local paper's Web site or anything "mainstream" in between, you're reading journalism that is posted online. Someone went to a game, covered a practice, picked up a phone. If your "information" is press releases, you're not a journalist, you're a receptionist.

9. Ok any tips on regurgitating the news online? Since there is know way to get access to teams unless you are employed by an accredited news agency? I respect what Journalists do, but I also believe that we need to change the rules of who gets what information.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think this just unlocked the kennel....

11. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

And, coincidentally, this is the Final Jeopardy answer for "Net journalism".

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why should I go to an event and write a story and then give it to you for free?

You are welcome to whatever information you can get by press release from a team or league or whatever, but if you are "regurgitating" stories from newspapers or TV stations or magazines or whatever, then that is stealing. Just because you don't want to do the work doesn't mean you get to change the rules of who gets what information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.