1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanting to get Press Releases from Pro Sports Teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Digital Sports Daily, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey there. I am trying my best to learn the craft of journalism, I am posting my articles on my website. I have the contact info for the PR people, any suggestions on convincing them to put my little website on their press release email list? How should I word it? Are there any websites that have press releases? Other than mlbpressbox.com and nbamediacentral and nflmedia.com?

Thanks a bunch
    Travis

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Travis - Your site looks clean, I like the font, but Toronto's hockey team is Maple Leafs. Two words. Just a heads up.

3. Thanks I was hoping you wouldn't check out the website, I'm not proud of it, It's been hard writing stories without any information. Thanks I am from Indiana, they don't let us follow hockey. Thanks for the heads up.
    What can I do to get information for original content? I feel like I am just regurgitating crap.

Why goodluckwiththat.com?

Travis

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some teams automatically put their releases on their website.

5. Yeah what are the copyright laws and or ethics as far as using that content?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Long as you credit the source, you should be fine. DO NOT try to pass it off as your own.

7. So how should I credit it?

"According to the Miami Heat, (insert entire press release?) Can I be this lazy?

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Unless you're Harry Page.

9. :) Who is Harry Page?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Let's say they announced they signed someone to a contract. You could do this:

The Miami Heat signed Shaquille O'Neal to a 10-year, $428 million contract that will run through 2019, the team announced yesterday.

"We're excited," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said in a release. "We don't think Shaq's career is over, despite what everyone else says."

O'Neal has averaged XXX points and XX rebounds in his 28-year career.

So basically, his stats are common knowledge so those don't need to be attributed. Just credit anything you take directly from the release, and it probably wouldn't hurt to throw a link to the team page in there too.

11. thanks justagirl that is very simple, I guess I am over thinking this

Travis

Any other tips for regurgitating press releases?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, when did Internet service get cut off in Indiana?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.