1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanted: SE for Portsmouth Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 13, 2008.

1. From the Ohio Newspaper Association Site:

Sports Editor
    The Portsmouth Daily Times, a 14,000 circulation newspaper in southeastern Ohio is looking for a person to fill one of its open sports reporter positions. Along with reporter, there will be page layout, so experience with QuarkXPress is a plus, but not mandatory. To apply: send a resume and clips to Portsmouth Daily Times, 637 6th St., Portsmouth, OH 4662 or sports@portsmouth-dailytimes.com.

FWIW: The paper was also looking to hire a publisher.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Run like the wind away from this area. I think this has been up before. Terrible area to live in, have no idea what it pays, but there is not enough money to get me to live in the Portsmouth, Ironton, Ashland area.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I grew up in this part of the world. Very poor part of the country, and it's not called Northern West Virginia by the rest of the state for nothing.

Pretty country though, or was 16 years years ago when I lived about 45 minutes away.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I interviewed for a gig in Ashland once. Nice area.

So is Portsmouth one of those rinky-dink Gannett shops that's downsizing prep coverage for emphasis on little league and reader-submitted hunting/fishing photos?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I did some phone interviews for a reporter job at this paper when I was finishing up college. They offered me a little more than $18,000 and that was only about five years ago.

6. I think Portsmouth is a Heartland paper now.

7. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I spent a year there one week. It was a long time ago, in a different line of work, but nothing I experienced would make me think this was a place I'd want to visit again. Appalachia would be a generous description from what I recall.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You spent a year there one week? :D

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Maybe the week felt like a year. . .

Draft saved Draft deleted