1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WANTED: New hometown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant Pittsburgh has snow. But I agree that the Easter Shore would be a good choice.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

temperate climates wipes out dallas as well. i'm thinking seattle and san diego as frontrunners.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Live north of the James if it is Richmond.

I do think Charlottesville should end the thread, but you have to swim in a lake and not the ocean.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I got Las Vegas on the quiz. I think I'd end up broke.

I like Chattanooga, and Tennessee in general. I also like Maryland. I've always had a thing for Baltimore rowhouses, although I imagine I'd be on the hook for sending the kids to private school. What do you guys mean by the Eastern Shore? What towns are there?

I've never been to Seattle, but I like Portland.

Damn, there's just so much choice in the U.S.

In Canada, if you want to live in a city, it goes pretty much like this: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax. They all have their plusses, but still, it's not exactly a wealth of options.

5. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Never been to Seattle Jones? Come in June for the sj seattle outing and check it out.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If I didn't live in Toronto (which, except for this fucking winter is pretty temperate), I'd consider either Vancouver or Halifax, although Nova Scotia winters can be pretty brutal.

No way I'd ever live in Ottawa and I have this built-in prejudice against Calgary and Edmonton.

And both TO and Vancouver fulfill all your requirements.

Hamilton (Oskeeweewee, baby) is very nice. :)

7. rube

rube Active Member

JR, what did Calgary and Edmonton ever do to you?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i really liked vancouver the times i've been there. reminded me of a smaller seattle full of canucks, though seattle has a ton of canadians too.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Ralph Wiggum's on to something, though I would suggest Bellingham. It has about 60,000 people in the shadow of Mount Baker. It snowed in November 2006 for the first time in 10 years. Otherwise it rarely gets colder than 30 or warmer than 80. I found the rain to be tolerable, in part because of the frequent sunbreaks during the winter. The prices are going up but in this market I think you can get a decent house there for $500K or less.

The schools are very good but I'm not a parent so I haven't done my homework. The water of Bellingham Bay is omnipresent and keeps the climate warm enough to stave off snow. The restaurants and bars are amazing, and there's enough culture to keep anyone busy. There are parks everywhere for the young'uns, and there's a college in case you'd want to teach the next generation of writers.

Finally, it's 45 minutes from Vancouver, 90 minutes from downtown Seattle and maybe two hours in moderate traffic from Seatac Airport. I loved every minute I was in Bellingham but it was an intolerable work situation. You on the other hand will find nothing but joy in the Pacific Northwest.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You can probably get a great house for under $500k in a canola field.

Otherwise, I think you're going to have to go up in price to find a warmish weather locale near water and away from the Christians.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There's always this:

http://www.aboutdubai.org/

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Jones, the eastern shore of MD is anywhere between the Bay and the ocean. Mostly small towns within an hour or so of three major airports (DC, Balto, Philly) and some of the best damn food you'll ever find, assuming you like seafood. If you ask me it's the best part of the state. I can go further if you want, but I might get all misty eyed here. And you might see an inch or two of snow per year. But schools are more often delayed by fog in the morning than anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted