1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WANTED: New hometown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

So, say you knew a guy, a writer, with a wife and two kids, who was sick to high hell of where he lived and was looking for a fresh start somewhere.

This guy -- we'll call him me -- can live anywhere in the continental United States, but he -- I -- have a few desires that should be taken into consideration:

1) Temperate climate

2) Safe

3) Preferably near water, but not necessarily

4) Easy access to a good airport with lots of flights

5) A place where inspiration might strike more frequently than tornadoes

6) Not too Christian (i.e., not a dry county)

7) Decent, family-sized homes -- but not cookie-cutter suburbia; downtownish -- available for $500,000 or so.

8) Good schools

Now, given all that, where would you tell this asshole to live?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Let me see if the apartment next to ours is available.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Greenville, S.C. -- cool downtown, upscale shopping apparently, strong business base (BMW is there along with a few other big companies).
    Harrisburg, Pa. -- flights out of the local airport, 90 minutes to the Philly airport, 75 minutes or so to BWI and the Inner Harbor, convenient to D.C., New York and most of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, too.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Would it be a town where you're likely to get your ass kicked, or not likely to get your ass kicked?

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Look into the school districts. We made a huge mistake with one move.

Unless you home-school.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The radiant bride and I have been considering - not very seriously - San Francisco.

And cold as it is, Minneapolis is a great place to raise kids. Chicago is a terrific city, too.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Anywhere in New Jersey.

That was a joke.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Rough Mix, my list has been augmented. That is the first smilie that has ever appeared in one of my posts; I'd just like to say it's automatic.

My kids aren't school-age yet, so that didn't even cross my mind. I am a selfish father.

I appreciate the suggestions so far. However, I'd like to point out that my list of desires is roughly in order of importance. I'm not living anywhere that sees snow between the months of February and November, inclusive.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

jgmacg -- is SF still brutally expensive? I like that town; I always thought that to live anywhere nice would bust my ass.

10. Eastern Shore in MD?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ceej -

Here's a listing I found online:

http://realestate.sfgate.com/RealEstate/Sales/Listing.asp?lid=158-4-337623

High, but not egregiously so - especially compared to what we're used to here in Fun City. As you know, 500K buys a studio on an airshaft in Murray Hill, which is why the magnificent warrior bride and I were looking west.

Here's the real-estate search engine from the Chronicle if you want to potter around on it:

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/index.shtml

So no snow at all? And lots of flights? And a fun place to live?

Have you thought about New Orleans?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Naples, Fla. - One of my favorite places in Florida, but a bit expensive and with the occasional hurricane.

Chattanooga, Tenn. - Gorgeous country, minor league baseball, thriving arts and downtown scene.

And if our suggestions don't work, try here ... http://www.findyourspot.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted